Western Digital My Net N600 300 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless N Router (WDBEAV0000NWT-HESN) Reviews

Western Digital My Net 600 Wireless Router: Set It and Forget It!

Nov 4, 2012

• Ease of Installation:

Pros:Low priced dual band router that does the job!

Cons:None so far!

The Bottom Line: The Western Digital My Net N600 is a very good dual band router available at a very competitive price.  Installation is quite easy, and the software is user friendly.

After many years of service, my Cradlepoint router died and after doing some research, I decided to purchase the Western Digital My Net N600 router.  Western Digital recently launched the My Net series of routers and the N600 model is the lower priced basic model.  But, it is a N+ based router with dual band technology rated at up to 300 Mbps per band.  With the purchase of a new laptop, I was hoping that the Net 600 would be suitable for streaming movies and viewing them on our 42" Samsung plasma television.  After several months of use, this router has more than exceeded my expectations.

Specifications:
Technology: <a>IEEE <a>802.11 a/b/g/n
Bands: Simultaneous <a>2.4GHz and 5GHz
Wireless speeds (transmit/receive): 300Mbps (max link)
Ethernet port speeds: 5 x <a>10/100 Ethernet (4 LAN, 1 WAN)
USB port: 1 x USB 2.0
Compatibility: CD setup <a>Windows 7/Vista/XP or <a>Web setup for <a>Mac with Safari 2+, Supported browsers for setup
Size (LxWxH): 8.3 x 5.4 x 1.1 in.
Weight: 0.71 lb.
Product Description: The Western Digital N600 case is made of white plastic with a black top panel. Blue activity lights are on the front of the box and connection ports are on the back of the box along with the power adapter port.  The router comes complete with power adapter, Ethernet cable, installation disc and quick start guide. As you can see from the specs, this router at 8.3 x 5.4 x 1.1 inches isn't very large, and it is designed to lay flat so that the height is only 1.1 inches, which makes it fairly easy to tuck into a smaller shelf opening or location. I don't see any reason why it could not be placed in a vertical location as long as you maintained air space for cooling purposes. Installation/set-up: The included installation directions were fairly easy to follow and made for a hassle free installation.  Installation of the software to my laptop went smoothly.  After following the set-up instructions, I got to the point where my laptop and router should be communicating with each other.  Ooops....it didn't happen.  After checking the steps that I had followed, I decided to just turn off the router and then turn it back on.  Then, I did a reboot of my laptop, and all of a sudden, communications were taking place!  Sometimes, you just get lucky.  After that, it was quite easy to use the software program to set up security for the network.  The software allows you to also set up priorities for the dual band feature of the router, but I haven't had the need to do so. So, overall, aside from one small glitch, installation was quite easy.

Performance: It works! The most demanding task I've put this router to is streaming movies from Netflix to my computer with the computer connected to our Samsung plasma television.  It has worked very well, meaning we can watch movies without knowing that we're doing so via wireless router/computer/television.  Occasionally, I can tell that the integrated motherboard graphics adapter on my Lenovo doesn't have the same frame rate as I would have with a better graphics adapter, but that is a computer issue and not related to the router.  Normal computing task performance is excellent.  I can't distinguish any performance speed difference between wired or wireless connection using Time Warner Road Runner Lite internet service.  On rare occasions when we've had two laptops accessing the internet simultaneously, I haven't observed any slow down or performance problems. Our house is a one floor, 1,700 sq. ft. house and signal strength is consistently strong throughout the house.  I've also taken this router along with my laptop when we went to our summer cottage.  At the cottage, I also had TW Road Runner service, and all I had to do was plug in the router and connect it to the modem, and my wireless connection was up and running.

Windows 8 Update: I upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 last week, and there were no issues with the My Net 600 router.

Final Recommendation: I highly recommend that you consider purchasing the Western Digital My Net N600 wireless router if you are looking for a basic dual band router.  Check out it's specs and features and see if it meets your needs.  If you want additional features and/or download speeds, then check out the other Western Digital routers in the My Net line.  The My Net N600 was easy to install and performs as well as expected, and better yet, it just does it's job without needing any attention!

Thank for reading my review, and I will do my best to answer any questions and/or reply to comments.

Driver Availability: Windows, Linux, and Mac

BRAND NEW SEALED WD My Net N600 HD Dual Band Router Wireless N Wi-Fi Router Accelerate HD Fast streaming and simple setup FasTrack technology accelera...