Western Digital My Passport Studio 1 TB,External,7200 RPM (WDBK8A0010BBK-NESN) Hard Drive Reviews

Now This is a Seriously Cool Drive!

Jun 17, 2012

Pros:Great performance, attractive slim design; affordable; Firewire 800

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: If you want a small footprint, high capacity, external HHD drive from a name you can trust, the Western Digital WD My Passport Studio 1TB External HHD is for you.

Lately it seems I need more, and more hard drive space, especially at home.  When I purchase my Apple iMac 21.5” Desktop Computer I opted for a 1TB hard drive—for various reasons—but no way to back it up.  I knew I would need an external hard drive, but which one? I decide on the Western Digital My Passport Studio 1TB External Hard Drive, because it’s extremely small, attractive, and versatile; it can be connected to either Firewire 800.

The Drive

The plug-n-play, 10.9oz WD My Passport Studio 1TB External HHD is especially designed for an Apple Mac computer and is fitted with dual Firewire 800 ports as well as a mini-USB 2.0 port.  In addition the drive ships formatted for Mac; HFS+ Journaled (Apple Extended) so that it is compatible with Mac’s back-up software, Apple Time Machine right out of the box.  And indeed that is the drives only function on my desk, to back-up my iMac. Note: the WD My Passport Studio 1TB External HHD can be formatted for Windows (NTFS or FAT32).

The all-black with silver aluminum trim, 3.5” external hard drive has no moving parts; the only way to tell if it’s on is a small, very small, blue LED in the back of the unit which blinks when in power save mode.  If you touch the drive while it is being written to, you can feel it spinning, however it generates very little heat, and absolutely no discernible noise.

Western Digital also includes a technology called the Power miser which utilizes the company’s (trademarked) WD GreenPower Technology that lowers internal drive power consumption by up to 30%.  A sleep mode reduces power during idle times, and a power-saving feature turns the drive on and off with your computer.

The 7200RPM 800 Mb/s 1.0TB My Passport drive connects via a Firewire 800 or USB 2.0 port and can be used with Mac OS X, Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard as well as     Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7.

According to Western Digital product literature the WD My Passport Studio 1TB External HHD can hold:

Up to 285,000 digital photos
Up to 250,000 songs (MP3)
Up to 25,000 songs (uncompressed CD quality)
Up to 76 hours of Digital Video (DV)
Up to 440 hours of DVD quality videoUp to 120 hours of HD video

Installation

I attached this drive to my Apple iMac 21.5” Desktop Computer desktop computer running Mac OSX Lion.  I unpacked the neatly packed drive plugged in the Firewire 800 cable (included) into an available port while the desktop was on-line.  Note: there is not power cable! With the Mac there is nothing to install or configure; the drive just showed up on my desktop ready for use with Apple Time Machine.

Unfortunately, Windows 95/98 users will not be able to utilize this drive because the Windows 95 (OS) does not support USB, and Windows 98/SE has no native support for USB 2.0.  The drive may or may not work with Windows Me.  There was an upgrade to Windows 95 that supports USB version 1.0, but it was released only to OEM vendors; and in any case the WD My Passport Studio 1TB External HHD is not backwards compatible to USB version 1.0 or 1.1.

Note to Windows XP & 7 Users: be advised, that if you have an over abundance of mapped drives already on your computer, as I do, Windows 7/Vista/XP may not assign the HHD the next open drive letter; this has happen to me on a number of occasions.  If after installing or attaching the WD My Passport Studio 1TB External HHD and you get the message that new hardware has been found and is now available for use, but the drive is not assigned a drive letter, you must go to Control Panel /Administrative Tools/ Computer Manager/ Disk Manager, to manually assign the drive letter, or reassign the CD-ROM(s), an alternate drive letter.  I have taken to assigning my CD-Rom’s down to the bottom of the letter tree; drive Y and Z are my favorites.  Alternatively, you can right-click on My Computer, click on Manage and then click on Disk Manager.

Conclusion

The WD My Passport Studio 1TB External HHD is high capacity, reliable (thus far and I don’t expect that to change), and transportable (if the need arises).  The small, black, nearly unobtrusive drive warrants serious consideration if you need to backup large quantities of files on a continual basis, or just want to supplement your computers’ storage space.

The dual Firewire 800 ports means the drives can be chained together for more flexibility if the need arises.  In addition the drive draws its power form the port abrogating the need for additional power outlets.

For those who might need a portable drive, the WD My Passport Studio 1TB External HHD will most surely fit the bill.  Small enough to put in ones pocket the drive will also easily fit in even the smallest backpack, so it goes where you go.  If you want a small footprint, high capacity, affordable external hard drive from an established name in the business, look no further than the affordable WD My Passport Studio 1TB External HHD.

Features & Specifications

Model No. WDBK8A0010BBK-NESN
Capacity (Native) – 1.0TB
Capacity (Formatted Apple Extended) – 999.7GB
Capacity (Formatted NTFS) – 968GB
Compatibility – Mac, PC
Interface Type - Hi-Speed Firewire 800, USB 2.0
Connector – 2x Firewire 800, 1x Mini- pin USB
Data Transfer Rate - 800 Mbps (Hi-Speed USB)
Average Seek Time - 8.5 ms
Spindle Speed - 7200 rpm
Power Management – Built-in
Manufacturer Warranty - 3 year limited warranty

Western Digital Wdbalg5000abk-nesn Wd My Passport Studio 500gb Mac Portable

Western Digital Wdbalg5000abk-nesn Wd My Passport Studio 500gb Mac Portable

Carry your work and entertainment along, on the Western Digital 500 GB hard drive. This WD My Passport Studio is compatible with both Windows and Mac ...

Western Digital My Passport Studio Portable Storage 1tb Wdbgja0010bbk-nesn

Western Digital My Passport Studio Portable Storage 1tb Wdbgja0010bbk-nesn

My Passport Studio comes standard with the high-performance features and premium style that creative professionals demand. Two super-fast FireWire 800...

Western Digital 4TB My Passport Pro Portable Thunderbolt RAID Storage External Hard Drive

Thunderbolt speed. True portability. Rely on My Passport Pro to get your creative work from the field back to the studio. Powered by an integrated Th...
BuyDig.com

Beach Camera.com

WD My Passport Studio 500GB Mac Portable External Hard Drive Storage

WD My Passport Studio 500GB Mac Portable External Hard Drive Storage

Massive capacity. All metal design. Dual FireWire 800 interfaces Password protection and hardware encryption
Western Digital Wd My Passport 1tb Ultra Portable 2.5 External Hard Drive

Western Digital Wd My Passport 1tb Ultra Portable 2.5 External Hard Drive

The Western Digital My Passport WDBBEP0010BBK 1 TB external HDD is an excellent storage solution for users who travel often. With a massive storage ca...

Western Digital My Passport 500 Gb,external (wdbl1d5000abk-nesn) Portable

Western Digital My Passport 500 Gb,external (wdbl1d5000abk-nesn) Portable

The Western Digital WDBL1D5000ABK is an ultraportable hard drive from the My Passport series of hard drives specifically made for use with a Mac. This...

Western Digital My Passport Edge 500gb Portable External Hdd Wdbk6z5000att-nesn

Western Digital My Passport Edge 500gb Portable External Hdd Wdbk6z5000att-nesn

Western Digital My Passport Edge 500GB Portable External HDD WDBK6Z5000ATT-NESN NEW IN RETAIL PACKAGE,EASIER BACKUP WITH WINDOWS 8!Ultra-fast data tra...

WD My Passport 2TB Cool Silver External Hard Drive

WD My Passport 2TB Cool Silver External Hard Drive

Western Digital My Passport WDBY8L0020BSL-NESN 2 TB External Hard Drive - Retail - Cool Silver Interface USB 3.0 Weight 8.16 oz Package Contents Packa...
Newegg.com

Brand Western Digital My Passport 1 Tb,external (wdbbxv0010bbk) Portable

Brand Western Digital My Passport 1 Tb,external (wdbbxv0010bbk) Portable

Brand new factory sealed. Will not ship to APO FPO HI AK PO BOX.