Western Digital VelociRaptor 300 GB,Internal,10000 RPM,3.5" (WD3000HLHX) Hard Drive Reviews

Free Shipping Server Supply

A Very Expensive Extremely Fast And Reliable Hard Drive

Sep 1, 2012

Pros:Low power consuming and high-performance

Cons:Pricey for a conventional hard drive

The Bottom Line: This hard drive is extremely high-performing and reliable and quiet to boot. I would highly recommend this drive for a quad core equipped desktop computer

Here’s my review on the Western Digital Velociraptor 300 GB SATA III 10,000 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD3000HLHX. I am happy to report that this hard drive performed extremely well, although not quite as fast as a SSD but much more reliable. As far as hard drives go this one being pricey for the size. It was designed for constant use such as 24/7 in an enterprise situation rather than for home use. It carries a five-year warranty. It's designed to work with RAID when configure with multiple identical drives although I have no need of doing so.  As with most Western Digital hard drives, and including this one. The heads parks off the platter when it spin down right on the outer edge. This prolongs the life of the hard drive by preventing the heads from jingling right on the platter surfaces when in transit.

As installed as the boot drive for Windows 7 64-bit in my computer, I've noticed Windows 7 boots up much faster most of the time at least up to 80% faster. Programs also opens with the same degree of speed as compared with my previous hard drive. I ran a benchmark on this hard drive and found that the peak speed reached as high as 146 MB per second. This speed in many cases is equal to or slightly surpassed most modern conventional 7200 RPM hard drives. One thing that this hard drive has over the others is the access speed which is close to twice that of conventional hard drives. It is no wonder programs opens in almost twice the speed. With all this speed the hard drive about as quiet as one that operates at 7200 RPM.

This new hard drive runs extremely cool for a 10,000 RPM one. The temperature on the most condition with this hard drive inside my computer runs at 24°C behind a 120 mm intake fan. With my previous hard drive the temperature was on average at 33°C with the same condition. The peak power consumption for this drive is 6.2 Watts when it's reading/writing and when idling its down to 4.3 W when idling. When it's on standby the power consumption goes way down to less than a watt at .7 watt. This is pretty much on par with an energy-saving slower so-called Green low thermal output slow speed hard drive.

This hard drive is essentially a small 2.5“notebook size one mounted on a heatsink that surrounds it getting it to the size of a desktop hard drive size. This hard drive is designed to work with the heatsink and not by itself on a laptop computer. The warranty is void if taken apart.

This Western Digital high-performance hard drive would make an excellent upgrade as the boot drive for the desktop computer when it comes time for hard drive replacement. In most cases, a SSD would provide higher performance but you would have to spend about twice as much money to buy one of close to equal capacity. Also presently, most brands of SSD drives aren't as reliable.

I will update this review in the future when I learn more about this product.

WESTERN DIGITAL - VELOCIRAPTOR 300GB 10000RPM SATA 6GBPS 32MB BUFFER 3.5INCH INTERNAL HARD DRIVE (WD3000HLHX). . IN STOCK.
Server Supply
Western Digital Hdd Wd3000hlhx 300gb Sata 6gb/S Enterprise 1000rpm 32mb Cache Bare Ultra Cool - With a SATA 6 Gb/s interface, the Western Digital hard...