Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 GB,External,5400 RPM (DN0892) Hard Drive Reviews

Western Digital "My Passport" External Hard Drive

Nov 12, 2012

Pros:Excellent device, simple to use, quiet, HUGE capacity.

Cons:nothing.

The Bottom Line: Terrific device, small in size but remendous capacity, quiet, very useful!

Another present I received for my birthday last May (I really cleaned up this year!) was a new External Hard Drive by Western Digital. I have several small flash drives, which filled up fast with all of my photos. I am a photo nut, constantly taking photos of anything and everything. I love doing this. I'm not sure what I will eventually do with all my photos, but until I decide, at least I have them in a safe place. (Up until storing them on thumb drives, I had kept them on photo DVD's. Believe it or not, the photo DVD's were starting to take up a lot of space in my closet.)

Well, one of the problems I had was with all of my little flash drives, was that they were all filling up too fast. Seemed like I was running to the store all the time, getting new ones. My son finally alerted me to the fact that I should buy just one large External Hard Drive, which would take the place of all of these small flash (thumb) drives. Brilliant! (I am somewhat technologically challenged, so it takes me awhile to catch on to all the cool new things that are available out there!)

This handy little Western Digital My Passport unit is really compact. It is no larger than a man's wallet or a deck of cards. Yet it holds 500 gigabytes. Compare that to the largest thumb drive and you can't even do that!  An average thumb drive holds 12 gigabytes. I put 2,000 photos on my new Western Digital "My Passport" External Hard Drive and I've only used 5 gigabytes so far. I would have to put 500,000 photos on it to make a dent in filling up the space on my hard drive! That's hard to comprehend! Excellent.

My son's birthday was shortly after mine, so guess what I got him? Yep, I bought him the same exact thing, a new Western Digital External Hard Drive. (His is a different color, so we don't mix them up!) He has loaded entire TV series, music and movies onto his.  He is really liking his new Western Digital External Hard Drive too, to say the least. He takes it with him when he goes to see friends too and they can watch the movies or listen to music he has downloaded onto his Western Digital EHD.

The Western Digital "My Passport" External Hard Drive is a great item to have on hand as a back up for your computer's hard drive. It does super fast transfers too, so there's no waiting around for long periods of time. What is also nice is that you do not need a separate power supply --  because there is a USB port on your PC.

This Western Digital unit is really durable, reliable and quiet. It is something you can rely on also because of the software which is backup continuously. If you decide to add a file or change a file, the smart software backs it up automatically. (Western Digital also has set up the opportunity for you to set up your own password to protect your files from access by others who have not been authorized by you, if you choose to do this.)

Specifics: USB 2.0 and 3.0 interface; up to 480 Mbps data transfer rate via USB 2.0 and up to 5 Gbps via USB 3.0; automatic continuous backup.

This is an excellent storage device and very portable. It features an attractive design, is very quiet and reliable. As I stated above, it can hold large multi-media files, including all of your favorite music, movies and TV shows. No installation is necessary. Just simply plug it in and use it. When you're done, just unplug it and take it with you. I like the small, slim size, and the super large capacity.

I have to admit to being amazed by my new Western Digital "My Passport" External Hard Drive. It was just $89 at Best Buy. I keep it in a small zippered case, to protect it from bumps and accidental falls. It's the kind of case that you can find just about anywhere where computer supplies are sold.

The Western Digital "My Passport" External Hard Drive will work on both a PC or a MAC.

~thanks for reading my Western Digital "My Passport" External Hard Drive review~

gkm.

WD My Passport Essential 500 GB USB 3.0/2.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Real Red)

Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility Connectivity today; speed tomorrow Up to 3x faster transfer rates with USB 3.0 Automatic, continuous backup Har...
Western Digital My Passport Elite Portable Hard Drive320gbnew

Western Digital My Passport Elite Portable Hard Drive320gbnew

Western Digital My Passport Elite Portable Hard Drive New in packaging 320GB Back up carry thousands of files Soft touch finish Thanks for looking!

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black)

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black)

Automatic, continuous backup Maximum capacity Connectivity today; speed for tomorrow Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility Up to 3x faster transfer r...
WD My Passport 2TB Cool Silver External Hard Drive

WD My Passport 2TB Cool Silver External Hard Drive

Western Digital My Passport WDBY8L0020BSL-NESN 2 TB External Hard Drive - Retail - Cool Silver Interface USB 3.0 Weight 8.16 oz Package Contents Packa...
Newegg.com

WD My Passport Essential SE 750 GB USB 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable External Hard Drive (Silver)

Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility Connectivity today; speed for tomorrow Up to 3x faster transfer rates with USB 3.0 Maximum capacity Automatic, ...
WD - 500GB My Passport Portable Hard Drive for Mac, USB 2.0, Bus Powered, Memory & Data St

WD 500GB My Passport Portable Hard Drive for Mac, USB 2.0, Bus Powered The WD 500GB My Passport for Mac is a sleek portable hard drive that is compati...
Adorama

My Passport Slim offers ultra-fast USB 3.0 performance and high capacity in an ultra-thin design. It features WD SmartWare Pro automatic backup softwa...
Beach Camera.com

Western Digital My Passport Slim 1TB Portable Metal External Hard Drive USB 3.0 w/ Cloud Backup

BuyDig.com

Wd My Passport 1 Tb Portable Hard Drive With Case Fast Shipping

Wd My Passport 1 Tb Portable Hard Drive With Case Fast Shipping

The Western Digital My Passport WDBBEP0010BBK 1 TB external HDD is an excellent storage solution for users who travel often. With a massive storage ca...

Western Digital My Passport Slim 2T HDD USB3.0 Portable External Hard Drive

Western Digital My Passport Slim 2T HDD USB3.0 Portable External Hard Drive

Brand:Western Digital; Connection Type:USB 3.0; Capacity:2TB; Size:2.5; Color:Silver; Features:Support For Mac,Encrypted; Dimensions (cm):11x8x1.8; Ne...
lightinthebox