Western Digital My Passport Essential 500 GB,External,5400 RPM (DN0892) Hard Drive Reviews

WD My-Passport-Essential 500 GB Hard Drive: WOW! It's FAST and Reliable!

Jun 27, 2012 (Updated Jul 11, 2012)

Pros:My WDl 500 GB is easy to set up and use.
I feel protected.
very portable
holds plenty

Cons:High sheen scratches easily.

The Bottom Line: I like having my photos-&-data backed up and secure. This product worked well and has been easy to use. The brand is the world's best seller. I recommend it.

I needed backup for my pictures having been burned once before. I am now feeling much better after using this 500 GB External Hard Drive.

I am not a computer savvy guy. It can also be said that I don't store much on my laptop except photos. Unfortunately I did get burned a couple of years ago when I lost our photos when the PC we had crashed. Fortunately my wife made up most photos we liked in hard copy albums at the time. Ya'd think I would have learned and backed up what I accumulated in recent years!

It was after having some problems on my laptop a little while back that I realized I needed to back up what we have, especially being we do store so much more now than we did just a couple of years ago. With guidance from an on-line support group that I have been VERY pleased with and hope to review one day I made the purchase direct through them at a slightly better price than I saw locally but with the promise of helping me out if I needed it. I then purchased the WD My Passport Essential 500 GB USB 3.0 2.0 Hard Drive.

WD My Passport Essential 500 GB USB 3.0 2.0 Hard Drive

This 500 GB Hard Drive by Western Digital is sleek looking and compact at about 4 1/2"H x 3 1/4"W and just a bit over a half inch thick. It has a high sheen. This comes in Blue (WDBACY5000A"BL" Red (WDBACY5000A"RD") and Black (WDBACY5000A"BK"). I own the black.

The box includes the Hard Drive, a cable. USB on one side and the other (not sure of size but not regular USB)  thinner and wider. It fits directly into the hard drive so all was just fine. There was also a start up booklet that was printed in English, Spanish and a number of other international languages. The print is ridiculously small and difficult to read without a magnifying glass that I did use to help me read it. In that very fine print they do offer a web site for additional and easier to read information.

The WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Hard Drive is compatible with Windows XP, Vista and 7. It needs reformatting for Mac and a couple of others. I work with Windows 7.

It's noted to be able to store over 100,000 photos. Because I didn't know about these things I asked a couple of questions. "Did images stay the same when transferred?" I was answered with a solid "Yes!" The basic idea of this product is to save images and other data in the exact same state as on the unit it is taken from. It's a safe way to store and back-up data.

The Hard Drive comes with a 2 year Warranty and uses encryption and password that protects the data keeping it private. The box notes USB 3.0 (Next generation) USB 2.0 (100% Compatible)

The packaging also notes that WD brand is #1 as the World's Best Selling External hard Drives. That was good to know.

In addition there is a chart in the back that compared the USB 3.0 vs Speed against USB 2.0.
USB 3.0 = 500 Photos 54 Seconds
USB 2.0 = 50 Photos 2 Minutes 2 Seconds

USB 3.0 = 2,000 Songs 4 minutes
USB 2.0 = 2,000 Songs 8 minutes 27 seconds

USB 3.0 = 2 Hr HD Movie 4 Minutes 27 Seconds
USB 2.0 = 2 Hr HD Movie 14 Minutes 27 Seconds

It was noted that the stats could vary depending on system configuration. Fact is I don't know how to use or find out the difference. As long as I know how to use the camera well and have back-up for safety if I somehow lost this laptop or all the files in it I am pleased. It does do this in quick fashion and it's easily done.

It also notes that whenever added or changed files ocure it's instantly backed up.

pops take

For all the information and stats that this product has, I just need to know that it will quickly and safely transfer images, files, music and more. It does.

I was shocked when I realized that we had 12,471 photos in our laptop that were not backed up! After plugging in the unit with the given cord I waited some 30 seconds. It was recognized and with a few given prompts was totally installed in no time at all.

When I was checking storage I could see that I still had 123 BG of 216 GB space on my c drive so I could have continued storing pictures that were not backed up and in harms way if I had a crash.  On this baby I looked and I see that even with 12,000 photos I have 433 GB left of  465 GB. Um, where did the 35 GB go to if this is a 500 GB product? Never was good at math.

The finish, though looking very sleek, scratches much too easily. For me that isn't a problem. If it shines, fine, if not, I don't mind for the way I use such products.

I was told that this would have much more space than what I needed for now but also gave the option for more space if I continued taking photos at the pace we have and if I started importing movies. When I opened the
That I am happy about!

This was very easy to set up. Once plugged in my laptop recognized this product for what it was and within ten minutes I had started to move my pictures into this passport essential. I was amazed that the full transfer of 12,400  pictures took but 55 Minutes to complete.

I liked that the unit set up well and to date has worked well for me and all my photos.

I can recommend this WD My Passport Essential 500 GB USB 3.0 2.0 Hard Drive.

WD My Passport Essential 500 GB USB 3.0/2.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Real Red)

Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility Connectivity today; speed tomorrow Up to 3x faster transfer rates with USB 3.0 Automatic, continuous backup Har...
Western Digital [wd] My Passport Essential Se Portable Hard Drive - 1 Tb

Western Digital [wd] My Passport Essential Se Portable Hard Drive - 1 Tb

Compact and lightweight, the Western Digital My Passport Essential SE portable hard disk is easy to carry along. You can back up all your important da...

WD My Passport Essential SE 750 GB USB 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable External Hard Drive (Black)

Automatic, continuous backup Maximum capacity Connectivity today; speed for tomorrow Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility Up to 3x faster transfer r...
WD My Passport Essential 2TB Red External Hard Drive

WD My Passport Essential 2TB Red External Hard Drive

WD My Passport Essential 2TB Red External Hard Drive WDBY8L0020BRD-NESN Interface USB 3.0 Dimensions 4.37 x 3.24 x 0.82 Weight 0.51 lbs. Features Mass...
Newegg.com

Western Digital My Passport 500 Gb Usb 3.0 Portable Hard Drive Green - Free Case

The Western Digital My Passport WDBKXH5000ABK 500 GB external HDD is an excellent storage solution for users who travel often. With a massive storage ...

WD My Passport Essential 2TB Blue External Hard Drive

WD My Passport Essential 2TB Blue External Hard Drive

WD My Passport Essential 2TB Blue External Hard Drive WDBY8L0020BBL-NESN Interface USB 3.0 Dimensions 4.37 x 3.24 x 0.82 Weight 0.51 lbs. Features Mas...
Newegg.com

Western Digital My Passport 500 Gb Usb 3.0 Portable Hard Drive Blue - Free Case

Western Digital My Passport 500 Gb Usb 3.0 Portable Hard Drive Blue - Free Case

Western Digital Wd My Passport Usb 3.0 320 Gb External Portable Hard Drive

Western Digital Wd My Passport Usb 3.0 320 Gb External Portable Hard Drive

The Western Digital My Passport is a 320 GB external hard drive that offers you space to store various videos, photos, music and other important data ...

Western Digital Wd 750gb My Passport Usb 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive - Fast

Western Digital 750GB USB 3.0 w/ USB 2.0 My Passport Essential - Powered By USB *** BEST PRICES in the Market -*** Super Fast Shipping - See our feedb...

Western Digital My Passport 1 Tb Portable Hard Drive - Wdbbep0010bbk-nesn

Western Digital My Passport 1 Tb Portable Hard Drive - Wdbbep0010bbk-nesn

The Western Digital My Passport WDBBEP0010BBK 1 TB external HDD is an excellent storage solution for users who travel often. With a massive storage ca...