Western Digital MY PASSPORT ESSENTIAL 1 TB,External (WDBABM0010BSL-NESN) Portable

A lot of reliable storage in a very compact package!

Jan 19, 2012 (Updated Mar 6, 2012)

Pros:Small physical size with a large memory

Cons:I have found none so far

The Bottom Line: A lot of storage in a small place. Reliable auto-instant backup.

Choosing an external drive for computer back-up can be complex and time consuming. Here is a small and efficient drive with ample storage space for most home needs.

There has been a great deal written about the importance of regularly backing data from your computer to another storage place so it can be retrieved in the event of a “crash” in which everything you have on your internal (“C”) hard drive is suddenly and completely corrupted and/or destroyed. One of the best options is always an external hard drive. Of the many currently available, I have recently been using the Western Digital “My Passport: Essential SE.” This small external hard drive with a huge (1TB) capacity, safely backs up a lot of data and occupies only a very small amount of space.

How much, exactly, is a terabyte? It is enough storage space to contain 120 hours of full quality video, or 200,000 high resolution photos, or 250,000 songs.

More often than not, external hard drives are, basically, internal hard drives encased so as to be externally free-standing. Commonly, they operate standing on their sides and most measure in the vicinity of 10 X 7 X 2 inches and may weigh a pound or more. For those of us working in a limited space, the sheer size of the drive can be an issue.

A small and obtrusive drive measuring only 4.3 X 3.2 X .7 inches and weighing only 7 ounces, the My Passport remarkable holds a full 1TB (1 terabyte = 1,000GB) of information. This is an amount actually greater than most home computer users have on their internal hard drives. Incorporating some of the newest technology,  it connects to your computer via a USB cable and is fully compatible with the newest USB 3.0 format which allows for transfers at about three times the speed of the more common USB 2.0 connections. It is “backwards compatible” and works fine with USB 2.0 connection.

There is no installation disk needed.  The management software for the My Passport Essential SE transfers directly from the device to your computer the first time you plug it in. The options are straight forward. It updates what it has stored automatically. Each time you add something (data, music, videos, etc.) to your computer, the My Passport instantly adds the new information to its saved material. This last feature is relatively uncommon and a genuine boon to those of us who generate new content often and never want to risk losing anything!
The user sets up all the details of what is to be backed up. There are two basic options; Folders or File Types. The required password is also set by the user to assure security.

The My Passport is delivered pre-formatted NTSF (for Windows) and will require simple reformatting for use with Mac/Apple operating systems. There is a full two-year warranty. I can vouch for the responsiveness and skills of Western Digital Customer Service should there ever by a question about or problem with any of their products.

The nice combination of small physical size, large storage capacity, automated instant back-up and simple set-up make this Western Digital My Passport Essential SE a very reasonable choice in building your home (or small business) system to safely store the information you would vever want to lose – No matter what.

Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Ultra Portable External Hard Drive (Metallic Blue)

Western Digital My Passport Elite Portable Hard Drive320gbnew

Western Digital My Passport Elite Portable Hard Drive320gbnew

Western Digital My Passport Elite Portable Hard Drive New in packaging 320GB Back up carry thousands of files Soft touch finish Thanks for looking!

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black)

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black)

Automatic, continuous backup Maximum capacity Connectivity today; speed for tomorrow Dual USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility Up to 3x faster transfer r...
WD My Passport 2TB Cool Silver External Hard Drive

WD My Passport 2TB Cool Silver External Hard Drive

Western Digital My Passport WDBY8L0020BSL-NESN 2 TB External Hard Drive - Retail - Cool Silver Interface USB 3.0 Weight 8.16 oz Package Contents Packa...
Newegg.com

WD - 500GB My Passport Portable Hard Drive for Mac, USB 2.0, Bus Powered, Memory & Data St

WD 500GB My Passport Portable Hard Drive for Mac, USB 2.0, Bus Powered The WD 500GB My Passport for Mac is a sleek portable hard drive that is compati...
Adorama

My Passport Slim offers ultra-fast USB 3.0 performance and high capacity in an ultra-thin design. It features WD SmartWare Pro automatic backup softwa...
Beach Camera.com

Western Digital My Passport Slim 1TB Portable Metal External Hard Drive USB 3.0 w/ Cloud Backup

BuyDig.com

Wd My Passport 1 Tb Portable Hard Drive With Case Fast Shipping

Wd My Passport 1 Tb Portable Hard Drive With Case Fast Shipping

The Western Digital My Passport WDBBEP0010BBK 1 TB external HDD is an excellent storage solution for users who travel often. With a massive storage ca...

Western Digital My Passport Slim 2T HDD USB3.0 Portable External Hard Drive

Western Digital My Passport Slim 2T HDD USB3.0 Portable External Hard Drive

Brand:Western Digital; Connection Type:USB 3.0; Capacity:2TB; Size:2.5; Color:Silver; Features:Support For Mac,Encrypted; Dimensions (cm):11x8x1.8; Ne...
lightinthebox
Western Digital 1TB My Passport Ultra Ext. Hard Drive WDBZFP0010BBK-NESN

Western Digital 1TB My Passport Ultra Ext. Hard Drive WDBZFP0010BBK-NESN

Western Digital's 1TB My Passport Ultra portable hard drive offers high-capacity storage in a sleek portable design. It features a USB 3.0 interface f...
BLINQ