Yourself or Someone Like You by Matchbox Twenty (Cassette, Oct-1996, Atlantic (Label)) Reviews

Definately "Push"ing this album...

May 7, 2000

Pros:Every single song is one you can connect with on some level.

Cons:Um, there aren't any.

Like I have noted before about the debut Savage Garden CD, this another one of my all-time-favorite-never-let-anyone-borrow-it-you-break-it-you-die CDs. When I first got this CD, Christmas '97, I believe, I only mentioned it would be a gift I would not reject, yet it wasn't as hoped for as the year's biggest present, an acoustic guitar. Actually, I was rather disappointed when I received this instead of the Backstreet Boys CD (hey, what the heck did I know three years ago?). Now this CD is my most cherished; to me a masterpiece and an exquisite example of this generation's revelations.

Besides all the car salesman droning, there is one major reason I love this CD: the music is down to earth, simple yet complicated little jams that aren't hyped up, Puff Daddy advertising, pop edited, gotta make sure everything is perfect. To my ear, it sounds as if the band was just chilling out one day, got some rhythms stuck in their head, and decided to record them. This, of course, is not meant to be an insult; it's my opinion (and that's why we're here in the first place, right?) that this record has a great deal of spotaneity involved.

A personal favorite song of mine on the CD (you gotta love them all, but this one especially sticks out in my mind) is "Shame". Just the simplicity of it, the swaying lyrics, and especially near the end break when Rob (the lead singer for those who don't know) sings "...so let the wind blow ya, across a big floor". Myself being a semi-professional singer, I have tried and tried for some time now to mimic his, well, whatever he's got when he sings that certain part that makes him sound way better than I do.

To sum it all up, words can't possibly describe how much I love and cherish this CD, how I feel when I hear the electirc guitar come in in the beginning of "Busted". If you're in the market for the best CD you'll hear quite possibly ever, then I suggest you go out and buy this CD. Be on the look out for their latest, "Mad Season", out May 23. From what I've heard of the music, it's still the same good ol Matchbox Twenty.

Matchbox 20: Rob Thomas (vocals, acoustic guitar); Kyle Cook, Adam Gaynor (guitar, background vocals); Brian Yale (bass); Paul Doucette (drums).Record...