Zojirushi NS-LAC05 3-Cup Rice Cooker Reviews

Zojirushi NS-LAC05 3-Cup Rice Cooker

7 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Excellent

Free Shipping Wayfair

Is This Rice Cooker REALLY Worth the High Price? YES!!

Nov 4, 2010 (Updated Mar 8, 2011)

Pros:Works extremely well for rice and more

Cons:None as yet
(and still None after using it for months)

The Bottom Line: I chose this model over less expensive brands because of its high ratings.  So far, I am not disppointed at all.

UPDATED ON 3/8/11 BELOW ORIGINAL REVIEW!!!

About Me:

Who I am: Experienced home cook
Who I'm not: Someone who cooks a lot of rice
Who I've become: Someone who cooks a lot of rice  :o)

Length of Ownership: Only about a week, but I will update this review periodically, especially that rice cookers are becoming more and more popular.

Rice?  Eech! Rice is always a pasty, starchy mess that's a pain in the neck to cook because it always sticks to the pot.

Not any more!

Okay...here's the scoop.  I knew that rice cookers existed, but I never actually thought to own one because I'm not a huge fan of rice.  However, I love oatmeal.....But I'll get to that in a moment.

The Zojirushi NS-LAC05 is a SMALL THREE-CUP (Zojirushi-sized cups and measured COOKED) rice cooker.  The Zojirushi dry measuring cup works out to approximately 3/4 of a standard 1-cup dry measuring cup.  Do not buy it if you entertain a lot or have a family of perhaps more than 2 adults and 2 small children.  It will be too small.  Zojirushi makes larger models that you might consider.  For my household (2 adults and one cat that doesn't care about what size rice cooker we own) it is perfect.

Features:

-It plays two songs instead of beeps unless you change it (one plays when you turn it on and the other when your food is finished cooking)
-Settings for white/mixed rice, porridge, brown rice, sushi rice, a quick-cooking mode, and an automatic keep warm mode
-Timer function: If you set the timer for 7:00 am for example, it will automatically turn on to cook at the appropriate time to have it ready at your programed time; it does not "cook all night"...now how intuitive is THAT?? FYI, clock is set in MILITARY time ONLY
-Attractive; looks wonderful on the counter
-Takes up minimal space
-Has a handle for moving it around without getting burned
-The inner lid (clear-coated aluminum) removes easily for cleaning
-The removeable nonstick bowl is well-made and extremely easy to clean
-Instructions are clear and direct

BACK TO MY OATMEAL

I bought this "rice" cooker because I read about how well rice cookers cook steel cut oats.  I had never heard of those before  until I recently saw them in my local supermarket.  Being an oatmeal lover, I was curious.  I purchased the steel cut oats and the Zojirushi on the same day.  Before I went to bed, I set up the rice cooker with the oatmeal, some raisins, a few pinches of brown sugar, some salt, and water.  I didn't know what to expect when I awoke.

I came down the stairs in the morning to a heavenly smell.  I slowly worked my way towards the rice cooker.  I held my breath as I nervously opened the lid.  (DRUM ROLL, PLEASE)

ALAS! THE ANGELS SING!  The breakfast before me is the most beautiful, appealing, and comforting that I have ever seen.  I stir it and then taste it.  I could swear I see heaven...
I make the instant and lasting decision that I will NEVER eat rolled oats again.
I have also saved a chunk of morning time by not having to make my breakfast before work.  I start the day with a smile...

Oh no!  This is supposed to be about rice!

So far, I made the most perfect brown rice that I've ever eaten.  I also made Jasmine rice with (precooked) minced mushrooms, minced onion, minced carrots, a touch of margarine, salt and a dash of pepper.  This one came a bit too mushy (but delicious).  I put a touch too much water in it but will cut back next time.  Being new at this, there are bound to be errors.

Are there other rice cookers out there that are less money and work as well?  I honestly couldn't answer that.  I can only say that my sister has a cheap-o rice cooker purchased from '_____MART' that always seems to scorch the rice and ends up splattering all over the place.  I am thrilled (so far) with mine.

UPDATE: 3/8/11

I can keep this short and sweet! I have perfected my "Jazzy Jasmine" rice recipe, which has become a staple in my home.  It was only mushy the first time that I made it.  I still use this rice cooker at least 3 times per week, and usually more.  Fortunately, I have not had any mechanical problems with it.  I can't imagine how I ever did without this appliance in my kitchen.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!!

Zojirushi NSLAC05 Micom 3-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker and Warmer Zojirushi NS-LAC05 Micom Rice Cooker Warmer Our 3-cup (uncooked) capacity rice cookers...
Zojirushi ZOJ1010 The Micom Rice Cooker & Warmer is compact yet versatile, and ideal for singles and smaller families. Its clear-coated stainless ste...
Wayfair
Zojirushi NS-LAC05XT 3-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker and Warmer, Stainless Steel Make the most perfect, tasty rice every time with the Zojirushi Fuzzy Lo...
Create up to six cups of perfectly cooked rice every time with this practical countertop rice cooker. Simply fill with the rice of your choice, add li...
Sur La Table
The Micom rice cooker & warmer is compact yet versatile, and perfect for smaller households. Its durable, clear-coated stainless-steel exterior makes ...
Sur La Table