Comments on Westgate Resorts/Orlando" (200 total) Showing 200 per page
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Re: Re: Re: To:catdog1234
by tomcatalley
I agree. We received a 1099a meaning that the government acknowledges that wg took it back, we have the letters saying once accepted we are released, and they took your money to close the deal and accept it. So if the filing of the deed fell through(supposedly), too bad for them since you have it writing that they took it back. They just dont want to do the work to resubmit it and/or they want to see if you are gullible and get you back in.
5:48 pm PDT

Re: How to get the VDB Form
by cryan1272
We purchased a WG timeshare in vegas- flamingo bay in 2007. then purchased an hyatt timeshare in keywest in 2009. last year we decided to transfer both of these for time at palace resorts. so far the company that they use for the transfer process - global resorts transfer has completed the hyatt transaction, but not Wg. We are current on our maintenance fees etc... but the transfer co. says that are waiting for approval on the FROR (first right of refusal) to be accepted. so, now we don't know what to do. the transfer co wants us to sign a form that states we are still the owners and will pay any future maintenance fees until the process is finalized. we contacted wg and they did say that they have received the FROR forms and its being review for approval. so, what do we do now? we are not signing a form to just pay more money. but we don't want to ignore them and risk finalizing the process. are we screwed because we 'transferred'them?
please help,
cryan1272
5:46 pm PDT

Re: Re: To:catdog1234
by anothersucker
Dear catdog1234, Glad you found us. DaveKemp's right. No More $$$ for them. I hope you have copies of everything regarding the WDILF as you said you have proof of the $1500 sent along with it. Read your copies and you will see that upon their receipt of the notarized WDILF you and WG neither one have any more hold over the other. If WG sold to Hilton, that is not your problem. Hold on to your copies of the WDILF and your CC payment. They should be all you need.
2:05 pm PDT

Re: To:catdog1234
by catdog1234
Thank you so much @davekemp for the advise. I appreciate it and all that you do here in this forum. I have been looking at all the posts and learned a lot!

Do you think the DILF I sent to them is void now that they are pushing the POA? Could they really do that, after I paid the DILF processing fee in time before their deadline? If I ignore the POA, stop paying ICA and any other fees, do you think they will honor that DILF instead and let me go?

Sometimes I find myself wishing to be out of this nightmare MORE than I wish to win the lottery. I don't know what wish has better chances of coming true =(
10:20 am PDT

To:catdog1234
by davekemp
Welcome to the forum! It seems that you've already fallen for all the WG approaches which gradually bleed you of money.

First thing to do is STOP PAYING ANYTHING more to them (including ICA) IMMEDIATELY.

Next thing is to wait - you'll probably receive lots of calls - ignore them all - better to not pick-up if at all possible.

The limited POA is just another trap that'll put you on the hook for another 3 years of M-T and the liklihood that they'll sell the TS for you is next to nothing - why would they when they can sell "new" ones for much more.

Read back through as much of the history here as you can and stop trying to "do the right thing" - WG and PH don't care - they only want more $$ and will keep you on the hook for as long as they can with every excuse in the book as to why there is always another fee!(and no end)

Keep checking here for more updates - good luck!
9:45 am PDT

Re: ICA letter..is this a 'real collection agency'
by davekemp
Hi minalk - I agree that it's most likely ICA in which case it can be ignored. However, since WG have been changing things up a bit recently I just wanted to be sure we know which set of sharks we're dealing with.
9:35 am PDT

sent out DILF,now they want POA
by catdog1234
Please I need advise.

My Planet Hollywood TM was first paid for in 2006. BIG MISTAKE! I was lured by all the promises, all the perks, etc etc. It was not even built yet at that time.
I lost my better-paying job in 2010 and had to pick up a not-so-good-paying job; thus I had to cut extensively on expenses. I have been paying Westgate (WG) less and less. Until finally after much haggling and pleading, they sent me an Application for Assitance which I filled out. After a very long wait, they sent me a Deed-In-Lieu-of-Foreclosure. I signed it and notarized. I paid $1500 processing fee. Now looking at this discussion, I realize I paid too much. But at that time, I thought that was a small price to pay to get rid of this very big headache.
Around this time I also received bills from ICA for $3000 , for all the mortgage and fees I missed paying. I did what I thought was the right thing, and paid them what I can... and that is $20.00 a month. Seriously, I am not kidding, that is all I can afford. Had I known that ICA is not a legit collection agency, and is a WG subcompany, I would not have sent anything. The proof is in the next paragraphs.
Now, 6 MONTHS after sending the DILF, I started receiving bills for HILTON GRAND VACATIONS. I do not own a Hilton Timeshare. When I call the 1-800- on the top, it says Westgate on the prompt. I was very confused. So I called the person who sent me the DILF. Of course, she is not my case manager anymore! So I talk to another person. Now this is where I get suspicious:
He says that my DILF fell through. He says that before it was approved, Hilton acquired/bought Planet Hollywood and my DILF was rejected. (Can you imagine how upset I am now?!) He said the only way to fix this is if I send in another form, a Limited-Power-Of-Attorney form, giving them access to sell the Timeshare and relieve me of any further responsibility. He says they never run out of people who want to buy a timeshare and they will be able to sell mine in no time. I asked them to send me a receipt of the $1500 processing fee, and all my payments. They emailed me my payments...INCLUDING payments of $20.00 to ICA. So they are the same company!!! or how else would they see how much I sent ICA. They did not send me the receipt for the $1500, but I have my credit card record.

I am so confused. I am running on limited resources and I cannot pay them any more. I have been bled dry and I have nightmares because of Westgate. My stress level is through the roof!!

Do I send this POA form? Can they really reject a DILF? And has Hilton really bought out Planet Hollywood? Should I stop paying ICA? Please someone help!!
8:33 am PDT

Re: Re: ICA letter..is this a 'real collection agency'
by minakl
I say they meant ICA as ACI is based in California. The original post mentions the letter came from Florida specifically.
7:28 am PDT

Re: ICA letter..is this a 'real collection agency'
by davekemp
Do you mean ICA or ACI?? ICA is a WG subsidiary - ignore them.

However, ACI IS an independent company and not a WG subsidiary, but their practices are similar. They are on the Ripoff Report website as below.

If you are contacted, consider everything they say to be a lie until you receive independent confirmation of their statments regarding your rights and obligations.

This isn't ACI's first ride on this rodeo, they are honored guests right here on Rip-Off:

ripoffreport.com/Collection-Agency-s/Cavalry-Portfolio-Se/american-coradius-cavalry-po-5449G.htm

6:40 am PDT

ICA letter..is this a 'real collection agency'
by wewantout4
We have paid for our ts several years ago and we too decided to be done this january. So we didn't pay maintence and taxes. we have been recieveing multiple calls a month from wg but we dont answer their calls. Today we recieved a letter in the mail from a company called ACI which is supposedly a collection agency out of Florida. It says we have 45 days to pay $1110.75 or failure to do so 'may result in legal action against us'.
So my question is do we do anything now? we havent ever filled out any forms...VDB or any of the forms we see on this forum. Do we need to contact them or fill something out? we have never told them we arent paying anymore...we just never paid any money that was due for maintenance and taxes. Our ts is paid in full and has been for several years. We do live in the US.

Thanks for your help.
Jul 9, 2012
5:45 pm PDT

Re: Re: Planet Hollywood freedom
Thanx TomCatAlley... Got another call today that went like this:

RJ called from Planet Hollywood Inventory regarding our timeshare. She said that she was not calling to collect money and was not a debt collector. She wanted to know if we’d like to return our property to inventory for no fees and penalties; the property will not go into foreclosure and it won’t affect our credit rating. She said that we could provide our email to her via phone, and she will send us the required paperwork. She said this offer is for a short time only.

I am gonna avoid them and listen to your advice. I feel it's the LPOA and we would just get stuck for another 3 years. It's taken almost 3 years for them to get around to us so not gonna mess that up now by letting them know we have ANY interest in working with them. And the WDILF is concrete, they just wanna tell you it isn't to get you back in. Screw them.

Also, any time I hear "this offer is for a short time only" I smell SCAM! If it's good today, it will be good tomorrow. Like when we signed up Interval International would say you have to renew by a certain date or you would never get that offer again... 3 years later of NO contact we are still getting that "special" one time offer. Just a bunch of criminals.

Thanks again to you all for the advice. Really appreciate it. Will post more as things progress.
Jul 9, 2012
4:10 pm PDT

Re: Re: Planet Hollywood freedom
by kdn1972
Thank you guys for the advice. The POA is exactly what I thought this might be and feel as if we contact them in any way, even just an email letting them know they address they have on file is correct, will set us back as we have avoided them for going on 3 years in September, We owe under $5000 on a timeshare we never were allowed to use once so they will not be taking any more of our money. As for Hilton, we received a letter months back stating they are the new HOA managers for PH, but all loans and mortgages are still thru WG. We didn't pay hilton the $400 tax&maint fee which we were told to have in by June 1 or risk being turned over to collection and a lien placed against our property. It's not July 5 and not a word, but I feel sure the calls and threats from BOTH scams will start soon. Hilton is just as big a scam and dirty as WG so not sure how to handle all this but our plan is to continue ignoring them until one day we finally receive the WDILF and can put this behind us. I swear I will never go to Vegas again as long as that building is standing behind PH. Makes me so mad that we fell for this scam. Thanks again and please keep the advice coming! You guys are great!
Jul 5, 2012
4:51 am PDT

by davekemp
So I guess we have to start all over again with Hilton for those of you in PH! The limited POA is definately something to avoid. As stated below all it does is puts you on the hook for all the fees etc for another 3 years with no guarantee of a sale.
Jul 5, 2012
4:03 am PDT

Kdn,

They are trying to contact you to send you the limited power of attorney form so they can supposedly resell it, i know i was stupid enough to contact them to try to tell them that westgate took back the property already but they said because hilton took over ph towers the wdilf didnt go through. But what the lpoa does is still puts on the hook or back on the hook for the ts for 3 years. I sent in my wdilf last august, i got my 1099a and these clowns try to tell me its just a standard document. Well the irs said to me that the 1099a means they took the week back and that its not a standard document that doenst mean anything. So in my opinion they are trying to deceive us to keep on the hook for 3 more years. I would take the foreclosure over being beholden to them for another 3 years.
Jul 4, 2012
11:11 am PDT

by davekemp
I would just reply to the e-mail, give them your address by all means if they have it anyway, and request the information that they have for you in WRITING. Don't call them - that will give them the "in" they're looking and don't give them a "phone number that way you avoid giving them a way to try to convince you to send them more money.
Jul 3, 2012
3:02 pm PDT

by hellnoseigal
DO NOT TRUST THEM!!!!!!!They never do anything FOR YOU!If they send you a WDILF(do you own or do you still have a balance?)Send it in asap with copies of everything and return receipt requested,signature required. Use express mail if it is near the date due. But if this is just another pre-WDILF SCAM (and it may be)to get more money out of you BEWARE!When they talk about "other options" to help you keep it -they mean to help them get more $ out of you.Read these pages and get an idea of how they operate and how we on the site have been able to get free of them or are in the process of getting free of them- especially pay attention to comments by Dave Kemp and Another Sucker- very good,sage advice.Good luck!
Jul 2, 2012
9:27 pm PDT

Planet Hollywood freedom???
by kdn1972
Just got this email from an account rep at PH Towers saying by letting them know our correct address (which they already have) they can send us info that would "release" us from "all responsibility". Is this yet another scam to get us to contact them OR is this legitimate and something we should do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, My name is Andres Palmer and I am currently working with Westgate Resorts Planet Hollywood to transfer your property out of your name, this would release you from all responsibility. There is no fee for the process and we will have all the necessary information sent to you. All we need is confirmation of the best mailing address, or if you would prefer for the information to be emailed to you.

We also have some great options to help you keep the property as well.

If you have any questions please email me, or call me at 832-776-8024 or any other Westgate number you may have available.

Andres Palmer
Planet Hollywood Assistance Team
1-800-875-1979 ~ 832-776-8024
PHloanmod@wgresorts.com

Monday - Thursday: 8am - 9pm (Eastern Standard Time)
Friday: 8am - 9pm
Saturday: 9am - 5pm
Jul 2, 2012
2:28 pm PDT

Re: Very nervous, but all your stories is giving me the courage
by kbello2611
Yo vivo en Costa Rica, y gracias a sus comentarios dejé de pagar hace 10 meses, y el 29 de junio, llegó por correo mi WDIL. La estaré enviando mañana por correo certificado me están pidiendo $500 para gastos, de momento no voy a pagar nada.
Les estaré contando.

I live in Costa Rica, and by his comments did not pay for 10 months, and June 29, arrived in the mail my WDIL. They are charging me $ 500. I will not pay anything. I will be telling.
5:13 pm PDT

VDB request
by greedyws
I didn't see where we could mark the service request as receipt-requested. Sent it. Don't know if anyone knows this but: I noticed a tracking number tracking area, but where do you get the tracking number to track? I was thinking it may be sent after sending it. Also, noticed it said they are recording "our IP address". What do they have access to with that? Any suggestions? Thanks
7:03 am PDT

Very nervous, but all your stories is giving me the courage
by greedyws
I am finally starting my process. Took great attention to everyone's history, printed 50 pages of information that will be useful to me, I will communicate clearly to WG:I no longer want the unit, have no intentions of paying one more cent ever, so I want to give my timeshare unit back to WG via VDB..... So even though I am so nervous, I know in the end the worst thing that could happen is receiving late fees on top of my M&T and no credit reporting :) I am so done with paying them M&T that is up to almost $1000 now for something that is so difficult to use without additional fees and you cannot rent easily and LOCKED IN to one place. And even if they do report (in the 3 examples used), it doesn't affect much. I can't thank you all enough for starting this, sharing all your steps you took with the results, and your continuing efforts!! So thankful.
6:32 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "selling" to a friend
by davekemp
I suggest filling in the VDB form and sending it to them (recorded delivery, or whatever it is in the US) for processing - can't do any harm. Yes, as I understand it you can still use any weeks that are available to you until you no longer own the TS (so long as your MT are current) The VDB only cost me the price of a (Canadian) notary's signature, but the whole process took about 9 months from start to finish. I would certainly avoid their newly reported $1000 fee for the VDB, it's better to just stop paying. No-one who just owes MT has ever got a WDIL, as far aas I know
2:51 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "selling" to a friend
by greedyws
Thanks davekemp. No problem on the sympathy comment, if I understood it that way I probably couldn't resist with a bit of sarcasm and comments like that :) I admire all your wisdom so I am not going to bother and waste my time "selling" it to a friend. I am going to go straight to the VDB process, give away current and 2 weeks of banked time to friends and just be on with my life. If the VDB doesn't work, I am going to take your advice and just not pay the MT. Thanks!! We should all use one of my banked weeks, during prime time, and teach everyone about the 10 days!!! lol (give WS a taste of their own medicine).
#1 while we are going through the VDB process, can we still use the banked and current time we have (I am going to go throught the VDB process ASAP regardless) and, #2 Now that they are asking for $$$$ prior to recieving the VDB form to process and if we don't send them any more money, any suggestions to still do the VDB process. I wonder if printing the form you gratiously gave us earlier on, and then sending that in with a $10 transfee fee if they will start the VDB process. #3 how do you prevent from going into an official foreclosure like had happened on the 3 examples in the past where they didn't return the WDIL form, can something like this happen if they don't send us the VDB form for not sending the $$$ they are now asking for. Again, thank you so much for all your assistance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10:07 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: "selling" to a friend
by davekemp
OK - now I understand what you're trying to do! I really don't think WG will part with ANY $$. They'll be more than happy for you to give(sell)it to anyone since they'll then have someone on the hook for the MT without them having to do anything. However, good luck with the approach. Let us know what happens and sorry for my "sympathy" comments!
8:00 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: "selling" to a friend
by greedyws
p.s. and if they don't pull the rofr card, then I would go straight to the VDB! As far as symphathy, I symphathize for all of us and the future people walk through the doors of WG scammers. WG needs to be shut down legally!!!
7:07 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: "selling" to a friend
by greedyws
Let me be clear. The reason why I placed the word selling in quotes because my friend and I would pretend I am going to sell it to her, but in reality it's to find an amount Westgate would use their rofr card and pay me the amount. I WOULD ABSOLUTELY NEVER BURDEN A FRIEND OR FAMILY WITH THIS SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am trying to find perhaps the best way possible to get rid of it, but hoping to get some $$$ from Westgate. (Which sounds like a miracle in itself) then the next question would be, what amount to "sell" it to her that they would pay. It ticks me off that these scam artists are not letting us sell it, give it back to them free, because all they are going to do is just sell it to another sucker likes us who got caught up in their web of lies and deception.. they are going to make at least what I paid on it $22,000 plus the maint and taxes. I hope that makes sense now, sorry for the confusion. What do you now think of this plan? Or do you think it's better to just go straight to the VDB? Thanks so much guys and gals - this site is amazing (you are amazing)!!
7:02 am PDT

Re: Re: "selling" to a friend
by davekemp
I totally agree with minakl. Please don't burden a "friend" with WG. Better to soak up the loss than do that - they won't be friends with you for too long anyway once they realize what they've got. If you just owe MT then stop paying them more money. They'll give up chasing you sooner or later. If you really need the money, then a sale is good if you can find someone - but if you sell it please don't come back onto this site looking for sympathy!
1:26 pm PDT

Re: "selling" to a friend
by minakl
If they a good friend, I wouldn't suggest you "sell" it to them. Unless, of course, they have oodles of cash lying about and don't mind Westgate's extortion practices :)

And, if they have oodles of cash, I'm sure we'd all like to "sell" our TS to them !)
10:43 am PDT

"selling" to a friend
by greedyws
I should add is that my "reasoning" for looking like I am selling to a friend is to try to get some money for the $22 thousand I paid. Thanks All!
9:54 am PDT

Selling to "A friend"
by greedyws
I am so thankful for finding you guys. While disgusted with WG tactics I was looking for options - I read all 61 pages. Thanks you all especially davekemp!So Regretfully I have paid $22,000 a few yrs back (two slimy times and yes I painfully say regretfully),live in US,only now responsible for MT. I would consider the VDB route but now I am considering "selling" it to a friend due to their rofr and all these silly scam fees. Then they could buy it wih their rofr that my friend was "going" to pay. Do you think that would be a good option, or go straight to the VDB. My concern with the VDB is that they are asking for new fees and won't send you the vdb or the qcd until you pay now. (probably since they have so many that have no put up with their crap and now trying new tactics to scam us)
6:21 am PDT

DON'T PAY MONEY UP FRONT FOR ANY TS SERVICE!
by davekemp
To anyone considering using a company that promises to get you out of your time share obligations please remember DO NOT PAY ANY MONEY UP-FRONT. If you do you'll never see it again and you'll still have the TS. These companies are almost worse than the TS itself. Thanks minakl for bringing this up again.
Jun 26, 2012
9:11 am PDT

Re: To: minaki
by minakl
Thank you, it's long been time for the general TS buyer to realize that, for the most part, a TS is a money sink.

One thing I forgot to add was that we were also taken in by the "we can sell you TS for you, just send us $xx" pitch. All readers here should consider this my public service for the day - DO NOT pay any upfront fees to sell your TS. If anyone can really sell a TS for you, they won't need and money ahead of time.

Cheers.
8:10 pm PDT

To: minaki
by davekemp
Love the attitude!! That's the way to treat these bottom feeders that try to push a really substandard product. Nice to see that we're not alone in our non payment approach.
1:42 pm PDT

Re: Re: To; notmine and canadiansucker
by minakl
We finished paying for out TS in mid-2007. As of January 2012, we decided to not pay anymore maintenance and walk away from our “investment” in Westgate.

We, like most here, were taken in by the sales pitch. For a number of years, Westgate vacations were something to be looked forward to. Now, not so much. We were, simply put, tired of substandard accommodation quality, the declining quality and frequency of owner events, and the constant hands being thrust our way asking for some fee or another. That, and maintenance costs that did not seem to match the reality of maintaining a unit.

We do not live in the US and, quite frankly, Westgate can't do anything about us not paying maintenance. The amount they seem to think they are entitled to ask for maintenance has increased at a rate far greater that what I understand the rate of US inflation to be.

Certainly, Westgate threatens and cajoles, but they are powerless in the end if they aren’t engaged by the TS owner. We don’t answer the few emails they send nor are their telephone calls answered with anything more than a “no thanks” or “we won’t be paying Westgate anything further, thank you” followed by a click of a telephone receiver being replaced in its cradle.

If they we more clever, they would stop wasting their time and money calling us and simply offer to take the TS back. But, no, they feel compelled to call (although not too frequently) and demand they be paid. The most recent one was from ICA (we initially thought the person said ICS) and misrepresenting themselves as an actual collection agency that had actual authority in the country where we live – they do not. Nor do their flimsy threats of credit reporting make any difference. The rest of the world does not care about the US and its credit reports.

Honestly, we don’t really care about this WDILF or when\if it shows up. It’s Westgate’s problem to solve, not ours. As noted above, if they were more clever….
12:06 pm PDT

Re: Help!
by anothersucker
First I am so sorry for your & your father's loss of your mom, and second so sorry your parents got used by WG. Yes, complete the WDILF, make & keep copies of everything, and send $10 (it sounds like that's what they asked for). I would ask an attorney how to manage that your mom won't be signing. Maybe you have an attorney or legal advisor who helped you handle your mother's estate that could help?
Jun 23, 2012
4:04 am PDT

by smrossbach
Hi! My elderly father received a WDILF prepared by an attorney. It is incredible as it has so many spelling mistakes that one could think it was prepared by someone who does not read or write. The deed has been fully paid since 2005 but my parents stopped paying maintenance fees since 2010. They bought it since 1997 but have never used it ONCE!!! My mother passed away recently from cancer and the WDILF mentions hers and my father's name. As I understand from reading all the valuable comments on this website, my father SHOULD send this WDILF back to them, correct? Will it be OK if he is the only one signing it? Do we pay the $10.00? Any advice is very much appreciated.

Re: Re: Re: Re: westgate contacting me after were out
by smrossbach
Hi! My elderly father received a WDILF prepared by an attorney. It is incredible as it has so many spelling mistakes that one could think it was prepared by someone who does not read or write. The deed has been fully paid since 2005 but my parents stopped paying maintenance fees since 2010. They bought is since 1997 but have never used it ONCE!!! My mother passed away recently from cancer and the WDILF mentions hers and my father's name. As I understand from reading all the valuable comments on this website, my father SHOULD send this WDILF back to them, correct? Will it be OK if he is the only one signing it? Do we pay the $10.00? Any advice is very much appreciated.
7:26 pm PDT

Help!
7:24 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: westgate contacting me after were out
by davekemp
Do I read this right? We now have two people with WDIL's signed and notorized and WG is trying to hit them with a POA in its place? I knew these guys were bad, but this is worse! Hopefully the clause that says once it (the WDIL)has been received then its over will come through.
Jun 20, 2012
4:37 am PDT

Re: To; notmine and canadiansucker
by notmine
I do live in the U.S., but still plan to NOT pay maintenance.
Jun 20, 2012
1:56 am PDT

Re: Re: westgate contacting me after were out
by tomcatalley
jojocool65, we are in the same boat. That limited power of attorney gives them the power to sign your name and after 3 years, if the dont sell ts, you are on back on the hook for the ts. We agree it is another scam tactic and wont be signing either. We will be going to our irs office to confirm that the 1099a means that we relinquished the ts back to them, which it should. Also the cover letter to from our WDILF has a line that says, "Once the WDIL is signed, witnessed, notarized, and received by this office, you will be released from your Mortgage Note and your Villa will be transferred back to Westgate Resorts."
4:39 pm PDT

To:gardenjen71
by davekemp
Don't feel too bad, we were all scammed by WG or we wouldn't be here! Not sure what legal aid can do for you that you can't do yourself. The simple answer that everyone here can attest to is JUST STOP PAYING NOW! Go on-line to your owners account and change your contact 'phone number to anything that won't reach you to at least try to prevent the avalanche of threatening calls that you're going to get. They will tell you ANTHING to get more money. Just hang up or better still don't answer at all. Read though more of this thread and stay in touch - we're here to help and we're FREE!
12:00 pm PDT

Westgate Scams!!!
by gardenjen71
Wow - I am sooo glad I found this forum. I want to make it a mission in life to let the world know what a horrid company Westgate is. Scammed into buying then found out it was not what we thought it was. Scammed into upgrading. Payed FAITHFULLY for years. Spent money on "sell your timeshare" scams too. Now, we can't pay anymore and I've heard nothing but lies, threats and rudeness. I talked to one honest person who told me about the deferment plans, a hardship form and the WDIL - but then no one else in the company, on that SAME day, in 2 different departments knew anything about those programs. Now, I'm being told I have to commit to making a payment or "else"...what a bunch of horrid people. They say that the phone calls are recorded - anyone know if that's true? If so, then they've hung themselves twice over. I am actually going to see an attorney next week through Free Legal Aid - this information is awesome.
11:49 am PDT

Re: To; notmine and canadiansucker
by cs69
Hi, yes exactly what Dave says, I haven't paid them a penny since the maintenance of 2009. I requested the VDB before being classed as in arrears of the 2011 payment but had no joy with that. I regularly read the comments on this site and will always update and help where I can. Just keep strong and ignore them totally!
6:35 am PDT

To; notmine and canadiansucker
by davekemp
Read the comments below from anothersucker and hellnosiegel. Bottom line is that if you only owe M/T and you don't live in the US there's not much WG can do if you don't pay. They don't seem to offer a WDIL for this since you don't owe enough! Certainly DO NOT PAY $1000 for the quit claim deed - it didn't cost me a cent except the $20Cdn notary fee. There is another person on this forum, CS69, who lives in the UK and who hasn't paid M/T for over a year and they've given up on her. She just gets a periodic letter, but NO EFFECT on credit ratings. If they don't offer you a free out, then just don't pay. Good luck.
Jun 18, 2012
6:47 am PDT

Re: Eliminate Maintenancce
by notmine
Thank you. I will not call the number.

Some weeks they call everyday, other weeks no calls st. Probably too busy calling others from this forum.

Keep up the good wok!
Jun 18, 2012
2:54 am PDT

Re: Re: Eliminate Maintenance scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
I agree with hellnosiegel...They are driven by money/greed. Nothing they do is as a "courtesy". Anything short of legally signing off is not worthy of your response and aggravation. And to Canadiansucker, the "TAF" is RIDICULOUS!! Totally made up. They want it to sound official. It's only official that they made that phrase up and want more of your & your parents' money. It's another phrase like "processing fee" = we want more money and we're giving it an "official" title. (You could call your kid's allowance "jr. family member needs fee" to make it sound official, but it's still just money you give your kids). It would please me immensely to see this industry and specifically this company out of business. What you choose to do is up to you, but I hope you don't throw them anymore money. The scare tactics and deceit are just shameless. You are probably right in that they invent new methods because some of us have called their bluff and gotten free. I hope you can accomplish freedom too and hope they don't make any more $ from you except a very minimal $10 fee. Let us know how it goes.
6:04 pm PDT

Re: Eliminate Maintenancce
by hellnoseigal
DO NOT TRUST THEM!!!!!! THEY NEVER GIVE ANYTHING AWAY FOR FREE.I THINK THAT WITH SOOOOO MANY OWNERS
TRYING AND BEING SUCCESSFUL AT GETTING RID OF THEIR TSs DUE TO SITES LIKE THIS ONE,THEY ARE RESORTING TO A NUMBER OF NEW WAYS TO TRICK PEOPLE INTO GIVING THEM MORE $ IN THE END.
POWER OF ATTORNEY, QUIT CLAIM DEEDS ETC. NEW TERMINOLOGY BUT DONE FOR THE USUAL REASON TO CONFUSE AND GET PEOPLE TO TALK TO THEM. BE CAREFUL AND ASSUME THEY ARE TRYING TO TRICK YOU INTO SOMETHING THAT WILL ONLY BENEFIT THEM.
5:12 pm PDT

Eliminate Maintenancce
by notmine
Is this another scam? I stopped my maintence payments in Jan 2012 when they were due. Timeshare paid-off 2001.

Is this another scam? I stopped maintence fees in Jan 2012' Timeshare paid-off 2001. I have received several emails fro WG asking for payment, also lots of phone meesages from them. I do not answer my Lan line so they have not talked with me.

Got a letter today from Resort Owners Association (David Siegel) saying: "This Notice was sent to you as a courtesy only.d For a limited time, you may particiipate in this program that may eliminate maintence fees for timeshare owners. This is only available to a select group of owners and we encourage you to call between June 1st and June 27 th to qualify."

Do not want to call and find out they just wanted to ensure where I am.
7:39 am PDT

Thought we could see the light...
by canadiansucker
First time poster... long time lurker. I would like to thank everyone on this site for the comments that you have all posted especially Dave Kemp - I actually compiled a list of all your comments to serve as a reference for myself when we started going through this. I really thought I would be able to resolve it based on all the information you have shared but it seems that you have been too successful! Now they have added another wrinkle... here is the story in a nutshell. My parents, in their 70's (they live in the UK - I live in Canada) have owned 2 weeks at Westgate Vacation Villas for about 15 years now. Mortgage has been free and clear for about 7 years now and even though they haven't been able to travel due to health issues for the last 3 years they continue to pay the maintenance and taxes. We requested the VDB back in January of this year (I wish I had found you sooner) and received a notice that the request had been received and that they would be in touch. About 2 months later (early March) we received the VDB form and submitted it same day and then heard nothing until early May requesting some more information which again was submitted same day. Cut to today... here is the email from the notorious Stefany Dos Santos:
Good Morning Mr. / Mrs. H,

Hope you are enjoying your day.

Regarding the offer to re-convey your timeshare with Westgate Resorts, the only cost occurred to you will be the Timeshare Administrative Fee (TAF) of $1,000.00.

Once the TAF has been paid, I will mail you a Quit Claim Deed (QCD) to be signed, notarized, and returned. Once our office is in receipt of the QCD, we will begin the process of closing your timeshare account and inform public records. Once recorded, the new Deed will be available through public record. This typically takes 8-12 weeks to receive confirmation from public records.

To start the closure of your timeshare, please contact me at 407-355-1218 Monday – Friday 8am-5pm EST. or by email.

Stefany Dos Santos
Westgate Resorts

Has anyone else heard of this QCD form or been ask to pay $1,000? Any help would be much appreciated.
Jun 15, 2012
3:01 pm PDT

by sda927
Great, thank you very much for the information. It makes me feel a little bit better hearing your story as well as everyone else's stories. I know I'm headed for down a long road with Westgate, but at least it's not going to be as long as if I kept the stupid timeshare. Thanks again!
Jun 14, 2012
7:50 am PDT

Re: Feeling the Anxiety
by davekemp
Hi sda927. You also asked whether you still need to cancel your credit card having made the other changes to your on-line information. Knowing WG and their ability to get $$ I would suggest that this is the wise thing to do anyway, even though it's a bit of a PITA. Otherwise follow anothersucker's advice. He's been through the process and speaks with experience. Welcome to the forum
Jun 14, 2012
5:55 am PDT

Re: Disabled Vet and young family taken advantage of!!
by hellnoseigal
Thank you for your service to our country and I agree ,it is shameful to take advantage of people especially those who have served our country so that the rats of Westgate can have the life they have.Follow Another Suckers advice and do not communicate with them at all until the WDILF comes in the mail-then immediately respond and copy everything and send it back return reciept requested,signature required and certified mail.
Good luck. You have much company in this and keep reading and keep up with the posts on this site.
8:23 pm PDT

Re: Disabled Vet and young family taken advantage of! scammed by westgate!
by anothersucker
disabledvet72, You are right that is despicable, and it's what the other folks who have found this spot have experienced too. I am so sorry you and your family have been used so shamelessly. But good for you getting these leaches "off your payroll". What you are watching and waiting for usually takes about 9 months to over a year in some cases of non payment and total non- communication on your part. You will get called and you will get collection letters inregular business type envelopes. The WDILF offer I got came in a larger envelope about 8"x10" and said "time-sensitive" or something like that. It did not come certified mail, but the paperwork you complete and send back to them should be sent certified return receipt requested. For now you have a while to wait. When I was in the waiting phase I considered each call from them that went unanswered as a small step in the right direction, and I saved all the "collection"
letters, just to track the process.
3:07 pm PDT

Re: Feeling the Anxiety, scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
sda927, welcome to the thread. So glad you & your husband found us and read through. It's a lot to take in. I had anxiety too about not paying but with time it sank in that not paying WG is not like not paying your other bills. You were pressured & probably deceived into buying. That is different from the other companies you may owe, correct? I live in good ole Florida USA and they never reported on my credit when I was paying, neither did they report when I quit paying, nor is the WDILF recorded. Did not seem to affect my credit one bit. As for the 1099, I forwarded that to my ex-girlfriend since her SSN was the one they used, and she had paid nothing while I paid the down payment & 2-3 yrs worth of payments, @ $12K down the tubes. Personally I would rather pay some taxes than be on the hook indefinitely to WG. Main suggestion I have for that is have a CPA advise you & do your taxes that year. Hope that helps. Actually I believe that most of us in the US who got WDILF had no effect on our credit standing. Hope others will share their experience in this area too. Best wishes, keep watching, and keep posting.
2:53 pm PDT

Disabled Vet and young family taken advantage of!!
by disabledvet72
My wife and I purchased a floating, even year week at what we thought was WG Town Center in Nov'2010. Soon after we realized it was actually in the outdated and broken down WG Vacation Villas. We still continued to pay as we were told that we could upgrade our week to the Town Center location for $25/night, each time we wanted to upgrade. We were also promised $259/wk vacation getaway deals that we would be able to take advantage of anytime to use other WG properties. Well needless to say we have never been able to book a single getaway, they always seem to be booked. We tried to book our floating week for this year after paying our first MT fee, which by the way went up almost $200 from last year, needless to say they told us that the resort was completely booked unless we wanted to upgrade to Town Center and pay the additional fee. We did not want to pay the extra and questioned the rep how they could be completely booked as they should have had a least 1 opening for us as they should have had a week left some time during the year as we had purchased one. The person on the phone had no answer for me.
When I asked if we could then book it for 2013, I was told I would have to pay an additional fee to store my week and then yet another fee to book it. This Westgate or Westscam as it really should be called is nothing but a scam to make money. I paid them $175/mth for over a year and I cant even use it??? R U Kidding Me? They have lied to my wife and I over and over and just keep trying to get us to pay them more and more money for things we have either already paid for or dont want. Its very sad that they took advantage of a disabled vet on a fixed income with young children. That 5k I've already paid them could have gone to some other much needed things. What a dispicable company!!!!
Well needless to say we stopped paying 2 months ago and the harassment has now begin. I've received numerous phone calls and hang ups from them and havent responded to anything. Ive seen on the forum something about a WDIL, am I correct in my understanding that I do not respond to anything till I see a certified letter from them containing the WDIL? I just want to make sure that my wife and I do this correctly as I do not want it to affect our credit. This is just horrible that you pay for something and receive absolutely nothing for all the money you have paid out for it!!!
1:22 pm PDT

Feeling the Anxiety
by sda927
So my husband and I live in the US and are owners of a Westgate timeshare in FL. We currently owe about $22k on our timeshare; we've been paying for a year already. This timeshare has become quite a burden to us. I found this website and spent just about all day reading through the 60 pages of comments and it was very enlightening! So my husband and I talked last night and have decided to stop paying for this burden and I have to say I’m feeling some anxiety about it. I do have a few questions that I don’t think I really found answers on while reading and I’m wondering if anyone can help to answer them.
My first question is, have there been any people in the US that have been successful with getting the WDILF and not have any negative impacts on their credit? I read somewhere that the only people that don’t have any negative impacts are those that live outside of the US and so I’m wondering if there is anyone inside the US that has had the same luck or not?
My second question is, I went online and changed my phone number and opted out of the automatic payment. Do I still need to contact my bank and cancel my credit card and have a new one issued, or will what I did suffice?
Lastly, what can I expect if I receive the 1099 form? If we owe around $22k, are we going to get something that shows that we received this money as income and then be responsible to pay all of the taxes on it?
Thank you for this forum, it is filled with great information and helps me feel a little less anxiety about the whole thing! I will be sure to document what happens in my case, so that others can be helped out of this burden. Thank you!
12:15 pm PDT

Re: worried
by cpdonewithwg
Seriously, read back through the many months of posts in this forum. DO NOT PAY THEM ANYTHING ELSE. .I have recently stopped paying myself, if fact I was ahead a few months, and they posted the payments to the principal and now they've started chasing me down for more money.
CHANGE YOUR PHONE NUMBER TO ANY OTHER NUMBER BUT YOURS! Ignore them completly. Have patience and follow dave's advice. It will be a long time, But in the end it will be worth it.
2:11 pm PDT

Re: Re: Limited Power of Attorney scammed by westgate
by davekemp
Unfortunately WG lie, or at least bend the truth, every time they deal with owners or potential owners. They will say absolutely ANYTHING to get money from you. Just think back to when you bought the place and how wonderful they made it sound. How much of that was bull? As anothersucker says, what's the worst they can do, sue you? They never have. Just hold on, eventually they give up.
10:38 am PDT

by mdtg828
Thank you for the information. So should I just go back to ignoring them again and wait it out? I am so upset, though I know I shouldn't be surprised, they would outright lie about a legal issue that's clearly listed on the website of the county.
9:43 am PDT

by anothersucker
mdtg828, welcome aboard. I'm so glad you posted. I hope you don't do the POA they are offering you, but if you should please post your experience here so that others can benefit. My opinion is that the worst they can do to non-payers is legal action; experience shows they haven't done. It would cost them $$, & leverage when they go for financing. For me I got to a point where Getting rid of them was more important to me than a possible hit on my credit, and there were no hits on my credit.
6:07 am PDT

Re: new walkaway scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
To pupster, I agree with Dave, Reading through some posts here is very helpful. When I began this process of non-payment & non-communication about 1.5 yrs ago I felt I had researched and found no other way to free myself. (I got my WDILF 7-8 months ago.) Making the decision to "non-pay" was tough, and no one can decide that for you. I've read this whole long thread through a couple times. It represents alot of people taken advantage of. Watch this forum and continue to research. You'll probably find no other way.
5:54 am PDT

To: pupsterd
by davekemp
Please take the time to read through a couple of months worth of postings where most of your questions will be answered. Short response is: yes, stop paying anything more to WG NOW! That's assuming that you're serious and are ready for over a year of being hounded and threatened by them - however, all the history to date is that it's all just hot air - they have never affected anyone's credit for non payments. Welcome to the forum!
4:54 am PDT

Re: WDIL in Nevada
by pupsterd
This place has bled me dry
4:41 pm PDT

new walkaway
by pupsterd
I have 2 wg timeshares do I just stop paying for both to get rid?
4:41 pm PDT

WDIL in Nevada
See... https://recorder.co.clark.nv.us/RecorderEcommerce/
Lots of DLIEU currently being processed in Nevada.
We Planet Hollywood victims need to stick together!
11:48 am PDT

Limited Power of Attorney scammed by westgate
by davekemp
Hi "anothersucker". Yes my vacation was fantastic. I also did a search in Nevada and on the Clark County website they actually list "deed in lieu of foreclosure" as a standard format and the recording fee for a 2 page document is $18.
See http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/recorder/Pages/FeeCalculator.aspx
This is the fee calculator page. So I guess WG is using yet another tactic to push their useless POA.
9:57 am PDT

worried
by jam808
This is seriously need to really find out if they are no longer doing wdlf we will foreclose. How can we really find out. IM getting worried now.
6:20 am PDT

by anothersucker
That sounds suspicious to me. I searched & found nothing about Nevada not accepting WDILF. I'm of the opinion that the POA is another WG maneuver to milk you for more money. Three years? That's ridiculous. They could sell your timeshare tomorrow if they wanted to. They sell them every day. Hope you had a great vacation DaveKemp :)
Jun 5, 2012
6:26 pm PDT

Limited Power of Attorney
by mdtg828
Hi Everyone. I've been following along for awhile now but this is my first post. I am expecting the limited POA any day now. The guy I spoke with said they are doing this because the WDILF are no longer being accepted by the State of Nevada and the court has started returning those filed. Is there any way to confirm if this is in fact true?
Jun 5, 2012
9:33 am PDT

Re: Re: limited power of attorney form
by davekemp
Just back from a great (no WG) vacation in China. DO NOT fall for the POA trick. It's just a POS and not worth your time! They won't do anything and will string you along getting you to pay the M/T all for nothing. They have NO intention of trying to sell the TS for you.
Jun 2, 2012
12:53 pm PDT

Re: limited power of attorney form
by hellnoseigal
You want the WDILF not this thing that is just another way they try to keep you on the hook.Do not sign it and wait them out to get the WDILF. These crooks will try anything to keep you paying.They can not be trusted.
6:01 pm PDT

Re: limited power of attorney
by newdad2011
I have gotten a poa in the mail and nowhere does it say they will guarantee a sale and the poa is good for 3 years.They make a point in stating that you are still responsible for it.I think its their way of keeping you on the hook at least for maint/taxes.I didnt sign and notorize as requested as am unsure as to their true motives.I received mine @ the beginning of the month and have hot had anymore contact as of yet
2:06 pm PDT

limited power of attorney
by jam808
The limited power of attorney paper says upon closing of the property the owner shall be released of obligation under that certain noted dated 12/13/2008. In the original amount of 9800 in favor of Westgate planet Hollywood.
Give them authority to sell property
12:37 pm PDT

limited power of attorney form
by jam808
I.got mail Today. They want lpoa limited power of attorney. What is thus. They want us to get the papers notarized etc. Is this the form that i been waiting on help. We have until June 17. For a limited time WESTGATE is offering the opportunity to assist with a permanent modification to your Planet Hollywood ownership. The goal of releiving you of your delinquency stopping all collection activity and preventing any foreclosure. Simply sign and notarized a.d return to us in prepaid envelope. We have people hwho have expressed inertest with proper lpoa WESTGATE can proceed with securing a buyer to assume your property
12:29 pm PDT

Re: westgate contacting me after were out
by jojocool65
We too signed a deed in lieu of foreclosure Aug. 2011, got the tax form for abandonment. April 2012 got an email (apparently a mass email) regarding mortgage deliquency, dummy me responded that we signed above in Aug. 2011. They started calling again daily but saying they have other timeshare deals, we have caller id, so ignored. Today we get a limited power of attorney form to sign. After reading here, I will not be signing it, I thought about sending a copy of above but I am afraid these crazies will keep trying to contact us!!!! They are worse than the bubonic plague, you just can't be rid of them!!! So don't respond to the email because it starts all over again!!! Should I do their job for them & send them a copy or just ignore???
May 29, 2012
5:12 pm PDT

Re: Certified Mail - Sorry if this is duplicate.
by hellnoseigal
Go get it asap-check the response date if it is the WDILF. Do not delay. Make copies of everything and do what they ask as to notroizing and send back signed asap(express mail is best but expensive but worth it for the tracking and evidence of delivery-ask for signature upon reciept at WG). If the final fees are high they are negotiable for less.
Good luck-do not delay.
May 24, 2012
5:24 pm PDT

Re: Certified Mail - Sorry if this is duplicate.
Dear ja98
I would go get it from the mail depot. It may be what you are waiting for....Good luck
11:08 am PDT

Dear Anothersucker,
Thanks for your comments! I can't believe it!
I have only just discovered this forum and straight away, my prayers have been answered.
Just for the benefit of others, we fell for the Westgate "BS" way back in 2003. I had a good job then, so we went with the flow and even upgraded two years later....and BANG some time after that I lost my job and couldn't afford the payments any longer.
I took advice from our financial consultant who said "Just ignore everything, e-mail, phone calls etc.," It seems he was right then eh? But I must admit it scared me because I didn't know if I was doing the right thing.....
11:01 am PDT

by cs69
Hi, yes just maintenance...I applied for the VDB whilst all paid up but they ignored by request until after I'd not paid the fees. Then they said no!! Just a 'arrears statement' since then, nothing more.
9:15 am PDT

Certified Mail - Sorry if this is duplicate.
by ja98
Hi all. My husband & I bought years ago and recently decided to stop paying (Dec 2011) after I found this site. I have followed for a while with out posting because most of my questions have been answered.

Until now. I got notification in the mail from the USPS about a piece of Certified Mail, checked large envelope and signature required for delivery/pick up. Does anyone know what this is? Did the WDILF come that way? Doing great with the ignoring part but don't want to miss that golden opportunity.

Thanks in advance.
Jamie
8:21 am PDT

by timeshare
hi there also from uk did you owe morgage or just maintenence?? i owe just maintenence stopped paying it 2008 and just get yearly invoice dave kemp said if its just maintenence they wont do anything but i just want closure.
6:45 am PDT

by suckedbywglies
It took me 7 months. The only thing I did was ignore everything, from phone calls to mails. I was just waiting for the WDIL to come. And it actually came. That's my best advice.
6:44 am PDT

Re: Re: Help help
by anxietyfilled
Thank you! So I have read up on this. Seems to me my only concern is the tax form. Would this affect the both of us? Again I live in the united states so I unfortunately do not have the same blessing as those who live outside of the country who don't have to worry about uncle Sam. This is honestly my first night that I may possibly sleep since discovering this whole nightmare.
9:14 pm PDT

by cs69
Hi...an interested how long this has taken? I am also from the UK, but it is nearly 18 mths for me without the WDIL...and hardly any correspondence from them. Good news for you, well done!
7:06 pm PDT

by anothersucker
Dear Macka, This is it...your ticket to freedom. Promptly complete the paperwork keeping copies of everything for yourself and mail it off registered for proof of mailing. Good for you!!!
3:13 pm PDT

Re: Help help
by anothersucker
To anxiety filled, Take a sigh of relief, You and your boyfriend have found this forum where people successfully rid themselves of WG without ruining their credit, and without getting scammed by a company claiming they can sell it for you. We are just people like you trying to help each other find their way clear of this company. So ditch the anxiety, you won't need it any longer. I highly recommend you take the time to read back through this thread a few pages. It will answer a LOT of questions for you. First and foremost do not send any more $$ and do not answer the phone from WG and do not respond to their e-mails. From this point forward the only thing you want to respond to is a piece of mail including paperwork to process WDILF (warranty deed in lieu of foreclosure. Everything else from them should be TOTALLY ignored. This may take up to a year, but will be worth it. So go ahead and read back through and relax because you have taken your first steps toward freedom from this company. Welcome aboard.
3:11 pm PDT

Re: WDIL is here.........
by macka1812
Well, We received our WDIL today! Dear ol WG are asking 10 yes, 10 dollars to be sent with the paperwork.

Don't really understand it though. Does this mean if we send back the paperwork duly notarised that we are finally free? Are there going to be any further charges?

We live in the UK, so will our credit score be affected here?
So many questions! I guess WG are sooooo crafty I just can't believe it will all just come to a full stop!!
2:55 pm PDT

Help help
by anxietyfilled
I purchased in 2011 and after realizing what a scam this is I decided I will do like everyone else and not pay. I live in the united and have a 760 credit score. I have paid about 3k and have a balance of 6k. How will this affect my credit and will it hinder me from purchasing a home in the future? I'm really scared and I cannot sleep at night. My boyfriend and I purchased this together and he is on board with me. I have read the postings but can someone break it down for me? Stop paying, ignore calls..... What do i expect to get in the mail first? Which calls or letters do I actually pay attention to? Please help.
12:34 am PDT

WDIL is here.........
by suckedbywglies
So as of today,we (family) received our WDIL. After so long, it took as almost 7 months to get the document in my case. My advice to everyone is like everyone had said since day one. Ignore WESTGATE but meaning it IGNORE THEM. That's what I did with my family for the entire 7 months ride. I didn't respond to any of calls. I ignore all the mails they sent and I think they just got tired of it. Finally we have the paper and we're done. Thanks to everyone for the support since the day I came to this forum.
May 19, 2012
7:23 pm PDT

Re: Re: To: cpdonewithwg - scammed by Westgate
by davekemp
If you don't get the VDB in time I would certainly NOT pay any more $$ to WG. The worst they do in this case is send you bills itemizing more and more late fees and they WILL stop you from using the TS (if you do)once you're in arrears with the M T. Otherwise there doesn't seem to any other closure for those with no mortgage.
1:04 pm PDT

Re: To: cpdonewithwg - scammed by Westgate
by cpdonewithwg
Yes, I do own two timeshares. You'd think I'd learn the first time. But that being said, if I do not receive a VDB on the unmortgaged TS by December, should I pay the M&T for 2013? I really don't have the extra.
8:22 am PDT

To: cpdonewithwg - scammed by Westgate
by davekemp
For the VDB you are right you'll just have to wait. Remember the M T have to be current for this option. Am I correct in understanding you own 2 properties with WG? For the other one STOP paying everything immediately and follow everyone else towards a WDIL. Do not communicate with them at all on this property.
4:30 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WDILF-scammed by westgate
by hellnoseigal
anothersucker is absolutely correct- DO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH THEM AT ALL-until they send you hard copy of the WDILF-then immediately send it back notorized,signed and copy everthing they send you for safe keeping- express mail it if necessary- you can also negotiate the $500 down as well- check this site to see the various "deals" they make on the final "fee" issue. Good luck!
May 13, 2012
5:25 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WDILF-scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
wgfreedom, It's in your best interest to not respond IN ANY WAY. TOTALLY IGNORE THEM. Even if it feels good to do verbal battle with them, don't do it. Any response from you delays your written WDILF offer. You've heard the phrase "time is money". Well every time you let them talk to you, you have given them something, and they will continue to be relentless because they think there is still hope they can get more money. If they can get you to answer the phone and listen, they are winning. They do not deserve your time or attention. It's a cat & mouse game. If you want to win, you must not answer their calls. Not even to tell them off, not even to say "I'm not going to..." They have to feel that their chance with you is ZERO, and that only happens after they attempt to contact you repeatedly over time and there is NO ANSWER. NO ANSWER equals no chance for them. ANY answer equals they have a chance (however slim). You cannot beat them verbally. We all already lost that battle when we got suckered into them in the first place. For your sake, ignore them.
May 12, 2012
6:15 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WDILF-scammed by westgate
by wgfreedom
today i received a call from "ANGELA" aka MS Extremely Important. She said we were approved for the WDIL and all we need to do is send $500 and they will mail out the WDIL...I laughed and said, "I can not afford to pay the $500 as I told you before, which in case you didnt catch that, play back our previous conversation! All phonecalls are recorded for quality blah, blah, blah!" She then said, she didnt want to waste my time or hers, and that was the "deal" WG is offering. I then replied, "Well, please put the deal on paper so I can show my LAWYER, because this sounds like a scam!" She answered, "Oh you have $ for a lawyer?" lol. idiot. Anywho, HOURS later I received an email, with the $500 offer! So I know how I want to respond, but should I? I definetely will NOT be sending them anymore $...advice?
May 12, 2012
4:55 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: wg resort - scammed by Westgate
by cpdonewithwg
Well Dave, I requested a VDB on my paid off TS and they (WG) responded that they received my request. I assume now I just wait. But my TS with a mortgage will go into default as of July. I hope all i have to do is wait that out. But when the T&M are due in December, do I have to pay it on either of them?
9:22 pm PDT

Re: Re: poa VS WDILF-scammed by westgate
by newdad2011
Thank you both.I am going to follow your advice and see what they will do next.I will keep you informed on any new developments
8:22 pm PDT

Re: poa VS WDILF-scammed by westgate
by davekemp
Completely agree with you "anothersucker". TOTAL SILENCE and NO COMMUNICATION is the ONLY WAY to work with this terrible company. They'll use ANY communication to try to squeeze more $$ from you by working on your "guilt" and fear of credit reporting. The only time you should communicate with them is once you receive the WDIL. Remember this takes AT LEAST 9-15 months from your first non payment. Be patient, they won't report you to the credit agencies.
3:57 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: poa VS WDILF-scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
There is no evidence of them EVER helping someone sell their TS or selling it for them. If they tell you they will sell it for you or try to sell it for you or help you sell it, THEY ARE LYING. They make more $$ selling their inventory. And that is all they are about.
5:46 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: poa VS WDILF-scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
Dear "newdad", It sounds to me like you communicated with them too soon (they had sent a letter about deed recovery, but not an offer of WDILF yet) and they are trying to use the POA to get more $$ somehow. Good job changing #'s and ditching all phone communication. Your waiting time may have started over since they were able to talk with you. Just remind yourself they have nothing to say that can help you. TOTAL silent treatment is the only way. Please keep us posted.
5:43 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: poa VS WDILF-scammed by westgate
by newdad2011
When I talked to the wg rep they said wg would try to resell it on my behalf but would not release me untill full sale happened.I have followed the advice from here and thought it was the start to recieving a wdilfas I had recieved a collection letter in OCT and Nov 2011 from ICA.The only way I could stop the calls was to go into my profile and change the # as someone on this site recommended(It works).If anyone can give more advice on thie POA I would appreciate it and thank everyone for the help on what steps to take to gain freedom from WG
4:42 pm PDT

Re: Re: poa VS WDILF-scammed by westgate
by davekemp
The POA MAY get you off the hook if WG is using it to transfer the deeds back to themselves, BUT it means that the maintenance and taxes need to be current. I think it's a bit like the VDB, but for someone with a "mortgage". It does mean you'd need to pay maintenance. Personally I'd hold out for the WDIL. The POA is just a means to keep you hanging around IMHO.
5:28 am PDT

Re: poa VS WDILF-scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
Dear "Newdad", This is the 2nd time this (POA) has come up . You can scroll down to April 5th to see "ss1966ss" post. How about it folks? What do you all think about this Power of Attorney letter? I've weighed in but would love to know what others think and Newdad & ss1966ss would probably feel better getting additional input.
4:17 am PDT

poa
by newdad2011
I have not paid my wg ts since 9-2011 and have cut off calls untill I recieved a letter about deed recovery and called they sent a limited power of attorney instead of a wdilf should I tell then that I want a wdilf as the poa does not release me from responibility?
May 9, 2012
2:14 pm PDT

Re: Qteepie scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
Qteepie, I hope they quit calling you, but I wouldn't bet on it. "Hellnosiegel" is right... Don't answer, but if you accidentally do just hang up immediately. ATTENTION ALL: If you tell any collector they cannot call you at work, it is then against the law for them to call you at work. If any collector calls you at work, you should tape record it. Make sure the first thing you say is to verify who they are and who they represent and that you are indeed taping the call. Tell them they do not have permission to call this number, and that you will be notifying the state attorney's office and the FTC (Federal Trade Commission). Calling you at work after you or your employer has told them they may not do so is a huge no no.
May 4, 2012
6:41 pm PDT

Re: Qteepie scammed by westgate
by hellnoseigal
I think you still have a number of months before the WDILF. On this site it seems that it takes a year maybe a little less. Main thing is DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH WESTGATE-IF THEY CALL DO NOT ANSWER-OR HANG UP ASAP.Talking to them just prolongs the process. Good luck in your pursuit of freedom from Westgate.Stay on this site for excellent advice and evidence of what people do and have done to get free of them.
May 3, 2012
5:01 pm PDT

Qteepie scammed by westgate
by qteepie84
We stopped paying in January. We received tons of calls at crazy hours in the morning, noon, and night. They stopped calling about 3 weeks ago because my husband picked up the phone and told them he was dead. They also stopped calling my phone. we've only recieved 2 letters from them since we stopped paying and last week we got a letter from a "Collection Agency".. So I'm wondering if its getting close to the WDIL letter. I have to say I am extremely happy we stopped paying them. I sleep better at night and we saved $1059.80 in the past 5 months. We were able to go on an all inclusive trip with the money we saved from not paying westgate. I'll keep you guys posted. I just want to know if they will stop contacting us since my husband lied and said he was dead so they would stop calling his job.
May 3, 2012
1:26 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: wg resort - scammed by Westgate
by anothersucker
To: "cpdonwithWG" Your situation might be trickier since you own one outright, and have an outstanding loan on the other one. You have it right that you would want to ask to do VDB on the fully paid one, and just quit paying and communicating on the 2nd one until a WDILF offer comes. Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
AND hey "bes16" it's great to see you enjoy having your freedom and peace of mind back. Like a big weight lifted off, isn't it?
May 2, 2012
7:32 pm PDT

Congrats to all with WDIL!!
by bes16
So happy for everyone who has recently received their WDIL!! cnad1309, I dont know how you were able to get them to negotiate that processing fee, because I sure couldn't get them to budge from the $250! Glad you were able to save some $$$. It has been about a month or so since I completed my WDIL. The only confirmation I received was from my "mediator" named Jane. She emailed me and said "Hello: Just wanted to let you know documents arrived and all ok on this end, thanks for all your help." .......so I have printed & saved this email, along with our other conversations. This group is just incredible!
May 2, 2012
6:15 am PDT

Re: Re: to:wgfreedom - scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
When WG couldn't get me to answer them calling my cell phone they called my parents number which was somewhere on the paperwork. My mom told them I no longer lived there & they could not call that number anymore... and they didn't.
4:25 pm PDT

Re: to:wgfreedom - scammed by westgate
by wgfreedom
ok so I will ignore the calls & wait it out. THey called my moms house the other day. How do I tell them to handle the calls? "Angela" said that its "extremely" important to handle this because "its time sensitive"...Well I guess NOT! Thanks for your advice. I will definetly keep you all posted.
12:24 pm PDT

Scared
by anxietyfilled
I regrettably purchased my timeshare last July. We tried getting out of it before the 10days and they said we would owe double the amount it was worth so we decided to keep it. Obviously is is false. But we fell for it. Reading these post, I decided I want to stop paying immediately. I have over a 700 credit score and my boyfriend who I signed the deed with is currently working hard to raise his credit score. If we stop paying, will it take a blow to our credit scores? We are in the US. We want to purchase a home together within the next two years. I'm scared about the 1099 form. I read elsewhere that starting in 2013, they will no longer forgive the debt. Please someone help me with this. I'm losing sleep over is and I'm suffering from anxiety from this now too. Please anyone hear me and help.
6:04 am PDT

to:wgfreedom - scammed by westgate
by davekemp
Do as "anothersucker" recommends. DO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH WG AT ALL. This is the most important step of the process. They will tell you ANYTHING to get you to pay more $$ and any communication with them indicates "weakness" or "fear" which they'll exploit to the limit. Just wait it out and monitor your mail for the WDIL - it will most likely take another 3-6 months to arrive. BE PATIENT!
3:37 am PDT

Re: Thank you Dave-scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
Hearty congrats to cnad1309, madashell1968, and hellnosiegel, on getting your WDILF's accomplished. And thank you DaveKemp. One by one people are winning back their freedom and peace of mind. It's awesome to not be buying a timeshare, especially from WG.
7:12 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: WDILF-scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
WGfreedom, Welcome aboard. If you haven't already, read back a few pages on this thread. You'll learn that this is what works: Do not give them permission to look at your credit report and do not send them any money to send you paperwork. Just sit back and ignore them until they realize you are done paying. Then they will send you paperwork offering a WDILF. Repeat do not send $$, do not talk with them at all. You cannot communicate with this company. They will not give up until you do not respond in any fashion. May sound crazy but it works when nothing else has.
7:07 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: WDILF
by wgfreedom
DK, i just got off the phone with westgate. its been 8 months since we made a payment and have decided to let it go! the woman on the phone says she has to pull our credit report to "see if we qualify for Wdil" & if we do, we have to pay a "fee" BEFORE she even sends out paperwork. wtf!
What do we do next? REFUSE to give them one penny. SN: We have received "the final notice" letter before Pre Foreclosure proceedings & the annoying phonecalls....
11:33 am PDT

Re: Re: WDILF
by davekemp
Typically you don't get ANY sort of confirmation from WG that they've received your documentation. As said below it's important that you keep COPIES of all your correspondance with them. It usually takes up to another 6 months before the deeds are registered and your name is removed from the rolls. The only way I finally knew I was done was when my on-line account with WG disappeared. Well done with the $200 WDIL fee, I'm sure that you'll feel better that way, even if it is another $200 out to WG - IT'S OVER.
Apr 26, 2012

Re: WDILF
by winecoola2000
To be perfectly honest, I received my WDLF April of last year and sent it back to them about a week or two later and haven't received anything yet. Quite honestly, I don't care when and if they send me anything because I sent them my stuff certified and i received my confirmation.

The only thing i received from them was a 1098a. Once you get your confirmation, file it somewhere and keep it. I personally bought a trigabite and scanned it and stored in on my trigabite.
7:32 pm PDT

Re: WDILF
by hellnoseigal
Congrats on the WDILF. We just got ours a few weeks back and have sent it in .DAVE K'S ADVICE AND COUNSEL ON THIS SITE HAS BEEN INVALUABLE TO SO MANY OF US. BE SURE TO MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU SEND THEM AND ANY OF THEIR COMMUNICATIONS TO YOU ON THE WDILF. Congrats again. Welcome to Freedom from Westgate.
5:34 pm PDT

WDILF
by cnad1309
Hi All, Just to let you all know that i was able to negotiate with westgate to bring the processing fee down from $350 to $200 US. While this is still a bit over my budget i am quite satisfied know that they will no longer be a part of my life. I will be sending my documents out this Friday and hopefully this ordeal will be over. Can anyone advise what happens when they receive the documents. Do you get any sort of correspondence stating that you are no longer indebted to Westgate. Its been a long journey but thanks to this blog i was able to stand my ground and be patient and everything that was advised came to pass. Good Luck to all those who are still waiting !!!
12:42 pm PDT

Re: irs form 1099-A after WDILF Scammed by Westgate
by davekemp
I would try calling the number below and asking for assistance. This is the office that records all property deeds in Orange County,

Mailing Address:

Apr 23, 2012
2:44 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: irs form 1099-A after WDILF Scammed by Westgate
by cnad1309
Hi Can you give me some more information on the call you made to county of Orange in Florida. Who exactly do i call and reference. If you have a contact number as well. I don't mind going that route as $75 seems reasonable compared to the $350 they are asking me to pay.
11:51 am PDT

Re: Finally Got my WDILF in the mail
by davekemp
This question of the "fee" for processing the WDIL comes up frequently. $350 seems to be the "current" amount requested by WG, but it has varied from $250-$2500 over the time I've been monitoring this forum. My only answer is that it comes down to what gives you peace of mind. The actual processing fee is around $10 to file, but I presume even WG has to pay someone in their organisation to do work. Bottom line: $350 gets you freedom NOW, less gets you more work to do with follow-ups, but does appear to work eventually based on history. You have to choose your own path - good luck.
10:37 am PDT

Re: Finally Got my WDILF in the mail
10:36 am PDT

by madashell1968
I cant thank Dave enough for the information he provided on this forum. He knew exactly what to expect and I am now done with WG. Again Thank you Dave.
10:16 am PDT

Re: Re: irs form 1099-A after WDILF Scammed by Westgate
by madashell1968
I can honestly say from experience. I listened to Dave. everything he said would happen did happen. I recieved my WDILF from westgate. They wanted to charge me 450.00. I called the county of Orange in Florida and it cost 75.00 based on how much I wanted recorded. I called WG and they accepted my payment of 75.00. Finally done with them. I did recieve a call from them asking if I was interested in spending 3 nights for free with them and all i have to do is listen to a 90 minute presentation. I laughed at them and hung up.
10:08 am PDT

Finally Got my WDILF in the mail
Hi All

Its been a while since i last posted but i wanted to Share that i got my WDILF in the Mail yesterday.During this entire process i have had absolutely no contact with Westgate gate..Both emails and calls from them were ignored. My question today is that they are requesting a processing fee of $350 USD dollars. I don't have that kind of money to pay them and i would rather not pay them any more money at all. I am seeking some advice as to whether or not i should contact them at this point to advise such. The most i am willing to pay if it comes down to it is $50 usd. Please advise as i would like to get rid of Westgate as soon as possible.
6:25 am PDT

Re: irs form 1099-A after WDILF Scammed by Westgate
by davekemp
Thanks anothersucker. Normally I like to keep my posts understandable, but taxes (either US or Canadian) are anything but! You need to read and follow the rules.

Great news on another WDIL! July till now is at the low end of the average at 9 months. The advice keeps working and saving lots of $ from going to WG!
2:34 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: irs form 1099-A after WDILF Scammed by Westgate
by anothersucker
Hey DaveKemp! No worries on the brainiac posting. It's nice to know there's a whiz kid on the good guy team. Nveragn, That's exciting news. Kinda funny how Westgate throws out their biggest threats/bluffs shortly before the WDILF offer. And TomCat, can you set your e-mail acct to refuse all correspondance from WG?
Apr 18, 2012
7:33 pm PDT

IT'S HERE!!!
by nveragn
My WDILF finally arrived in the mail today. I'd stopped giving them my hard-earned money last July. Thank you guys for all the great advice and all the best to those of you still struggling for freedom from Westgate.
Apr 18, 2012
5:53 pm PDT

Re: Re: irs form 1099-A after FDILF
by davekemp
I just realised how complex my last post was. Liklihood is that you'll not owe any taxes since there is unlikely to be any capital gain and you should be forgiven tax on any cancelled loan debts.
Apr 16, 2012

Re: irs form 1099-A after FDILF
by tomcatalley
For me and my 1099A, I had my mine done by a local tax professional and it turned out to be a wash. Meaning, it didnt help or hurt me.
Apr 15, 2012
4:21 am PDT

Re: irs form 1099-A after FDILF
by davekemp
I’m not a tax specialist in the US (I’m Canadian), but I do fairly complex tax returns here. From what I can establish reading the US rules the following applies:

From your 1099-A your “selling price”, for capital gains purposes, will be either the fair market value of the home, which will be listed in Box 4, or the amount of the outstanding loan balance, which will be in Box 2. The date of disposition will be listed in Box 1. The date of purchase does not appear on a 1099-A, but you should have that in your records.

If the fair market value of your home exceeds your outstanding loan balance, and the lender canceled your debt as part of the foreclosure you may also have cancellation of debt income, which will appear on Form 1099-C. Form 1099-C is often issued instead of Form 1099-A in these instances.

BUT - Check current tax legislation for exemptions. The Mortgage Relief Act of 2007 absolved taxpayers of paying income tax on any debt forgiven as part of a foreclosure between 2007 and 2012

Calculate your capital gain or loss. Using Schedule D, "Capital Gains and Losses," enter the information from your 1099-A as directed, and the disposition price less the purchase price will be your gain or loss. I doubt you have a gain, but you can exempt up to $250,000 ($500,000 for married couples) from your taxes once every two years.

Good luck - and if in doubt contact a US tax preparer.
Apr 15, 2012
4:05 am PDT

irs form 1099-A after FDILF
by crmtx
I got my deed in lieu of forclosure in 2011 and received an IRS Form 1099-A Abondonment of Secured Property for my 2011 tax return. It shows a fair market value amount approx $3,000 more than the Principal Balance Outstanding amount. the box for personally liable for debt repayment is not checked. Any advice on how this affects my tax return - any taxable income (or loss?)to report? The not personally liable check box seems significant.
Apr 14, 2012
9:40 pm PDT

Re: Re: Cancelled WestGate Contract
Congratulations.Good to hear that at least they keep to the 10 day word
Apr 13, 2012
6:01 am PDT

Re: Cancelled WestGate Contract
by anothersucker
dear "scammedtoo", congratulations on getting your freedom. Well done...so very happy for you.
5:10 pm PDT

Cancelled WestGate Contract - fantastic news - well done!!
by davekemp
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Really pleased to see you were successful in getting out. You'll have saved yourself thousands of dollars, not to mention the hassles of dealing with WG. Hopefully you've also learned a valuable lesson - DON`T EVER BUY A TIMESHARE!
5:23 am PDT

Cancelled WestGate Contract
Hi all,

About a month ago I went into contract with WestGate for a timeshare in Orlando. Needless to say I felt I got caught in the sales pitch and wanted to get out. I submitted my notice of cancellation within the 10 days and I have gotten the refund, less $50 (for the briefcase). I did not get an actual letter in writing but I do see the credit in my account.

Please follow the advise on this site/page and you will be on your way out as well.

Thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences and ongoing support, especially Dave and AnotherSucker.

5:00 am PDT

Re: Re: Planet Hollywood-westgate scams
by anothersucker
Well said KDN1972, Way to break it down! Better a single mark on an otherwise good credit record, than to be held hostage to WG or worry.
2:07 pm PDT

Re: westgate contacting me after were out
by davekemp
Just send them a copy of your WDIL and ask them nicely to stop bugging you.
8:34 am PDT

westgate contacting me after were out
by tomcatalley
So we signed our wdilf for ph towers last august after 10 months no pay, they took their money to close, and we received our 1099A. Over the last two weeks i have received three emails saying we are delinquent and one saying they can help with our payments. Anyone else getting these. As far as i am concerned im done with them and will not talk to them to resolve their mistake.
6:42 am PDT

Re: Re: wg resort - scammed by Westgate
by cpdonewithwg
So to make it clear, for me to rid myself of my timeshares (2), at WG, all I have to do is stop paying my mortgate & MFT, and eventually they will send me a WDILF? And on the one I currently own free & clear, all I have to do is request a VDB? This is great!!! I have spent thousands on these timeshare scams trying to rid myself of these albatrosses for years. $350.00 will be bargain. Don't fall for these TS resale scams!! I did, now I'm broke.
6:02 am PDT

Re: Planet Hollywood - scammed by Westgate and Hilton
by davekemp
I think you're all correct. A quick web search pulls in just as many complaints about the Hilton group as it does about WG in regard to how they deal with their TS clients. ie BADLY. Just keep doing the same as though it was WG - ignore everything and wait it out. Sooner or later they'll give up and move on to another sucker!
2:33 am PDT

Re: Re: Planet Hollywood
by hellnoseigal
You are correct- stay the course!Do not worry any more- do not communicate with them in any way until the WDILF comes.
6:37 pm PDT

Planet Hollywood
by ss1966ss
Actually, I think Hilton Vacation Club was contracted by Resort Finance America when they acquired controlling interest. However, I'm not going to worry about Hilton's credit reporting policies on the maintenance fees as the bulk of my debt is to Westgate. And like kdn1972, I'm not going to give in to Westgate's scare tactics as I have legal counsel advising me so I'm not afraid to stand my ground.
6:30 pm PDT

Re: Planet Hollywood
by kdn1972
I may be wrong, but it seems Hilton is just involved as the HOA management company, or to give WG a little more credibility since westgate either means nothing or something bad to everyone. The HOA bill I got said if I didnt pay then my account would go to collection. If not paid then it would go into foreclosure proceedings ...the exact same thing WG has said for years. I wouldn't be surprised if the collection agency was one of WGs divisions. Regardless, I'm not paying a penny. Still holding out for a WDILF and hopeful that one day this will be a memory. And yes, we need to stick together. I filed complaints with over 20 state and federal consumer protection agencies and attorney generals with absolutely no help at all. If they don't care, why should we. And IF this ever turned up on our credit report, which to my knowledge has never happened to anyone on this blog, its only a mark. It won't ruin u, and in a couple years it won't even matter. I know people who had multi hundred thousand dollar homes foreclosed on and were in a new one in 2 years. So, I'm not gonna worry about it. I can't let this bother me any more than it has the last 1.5yrs. Hope you all agree!
5:05 pm PDT

Planet Hollywood
by ss1966ss
To kdn1972, rod11, who else?
It seems we PH victims need to stick together and keep each other informed since Hilton is involved now.
3:14 pm PDT

Re: wg resort - scammed by Westgate
by davekemp
It sounds like a WDIL(waiver deed in lieu - of foreclosure)offer from your description. If this is the case it's a formal document that absolves you of all debts with little liklihood of any effect on your credit. Make sure you get EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Good luck.
7:17 am PDT

wg resort
by jnest
i purchased a property in orlando 3 yrs ago under extreme pressure by wg felt like me and my family were being held hostage and forced to buy this property.anyway now we haven't paid anything to them for about 9 months went through the calls and all that good stuff the last resolution we got was we were told the will send us the paperwork we have to fill it out in front of a notery and pay $350 dollars for the attorney fee and we can just walk away from the property no credit reporting or anything just surrender the deed this is after paying thousands for nothing.is this a viable option or do you think this is another scam that they'll reclaim the deed and still try to hold us liable for the unpaid mortgage?
6:26 am PDT

Re: Re: Hilton Vacation Club - scammed by Westgate
by kdn1972
Thanks Dave and everyone for the feedback. Maybe WG is suffering badly to "merge" with LV Towers 52/Hilton for help to reclaim the $ they stole from us. Anyway, since the letter clearly stated WG is still the mortgage holder and all payments go thru them I'm gonna stay silent aand wait. Hilton said if they didnt receive payment, a lien would be placed against the timeshare and foreclosure proceedings would take place. We owe $4000....i doubt they will want to go thru and expensive foreclosure process to reclaim that. We just want out. Done. Thanx again everyone! Pls post any news regarding this BS.
4:20 am PDT

Re: Hilton Vacation Club - scammed by Westgate
by davekemp
Attached is a copy of the press release from when Hilton took over. Since we're now dealing with a new entity I would assume that they'll start a new "drive" to get "delinquent" payments up to date. Until we hear otherwise I would just continue to ignore them. I severely doubt that they'll want to spend any more money than WG, in which case the process should be the same - ignore and wait.

In November, 2011, LV Tower 52, LLC (“LV Tower”) acquired a controlling interest in Planet Hollywood Towers by Westgate and appointed Hilton Grand Vacations to rebrand the property and provide future vacation ownership sales and marketing services. Most recently LV Tower appointed HGV to oversee the resort’s condominium association, timeshare interval reservations, and on-site resort maintenance and resort operations. The more than 17,000 existing Westgate owners of the property will continue to enjoy the full ownership rights and benefits associated with their original purchase from Westgate Resorts as well as their exchange privileges with Interval International. ”
3:05 am PDT

Re: Re: Hilton Vacation Club???
by rod11
I also received that letter from Hilton last week so it may be a mass letter they are sending but I'm just going to ignore as well. Will post any updates if we get them. What they are doing is calling all the numbers we used to have listed even though I changed them so keep an eye of your caller ID.
8:07 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: Threats/Letters
by cs69
Hi, yes will definately keep things upto date on here. I wonder why they have suddenly started contacting people after such a long time...but lets stick together and stay strong against them.
7:17 pm PDT

Re: Hilton Vacation Club???
6:56 pm PDT

Re: Hilton Vacation Club???
by hellnoseigal
Hi! I would think that if WG is still handling the $ end of things you would still not respond and stay the course till you get the WDILF.Hilton Vacation Club is like thier Interval International Group I think- you can check them out on the WEB-they are all connected in someway and all trying to scam whoever takes the bait.We got our WDILF exactly 12 months after we stopped paying them. We never talked to them and if they fooled us and we answered we immediately hung up.Hang in there- it will come.Read through the comments on this site and follow what Dave Kemp advises. He is always helping us here and is not to be second guessed.
6:54 pm PDT

Hilton Vacation Club???
by kdn1972
So I haven't paid a penny in 1.5yrs to Westgate for the fake timeshare I "bought" in Vegas at Planet Hollywood Towers. Got one letter saying we are delinquent but nothing more than that. A couple weeks ago we got a letter stating PH Towers' HOA will now be taken care of by Hilton Vacation Club (or something) but the mortgage will still be handled by Westgate. We do not intend to ever pay another penny and wonder if and when Hilton Vaca Club sends us to collection will it be ICA or one of the poser collection agencies thru WG. Does anyone know? The letter said if we don't pay the $450 maintenance fee we will be turned over to collection and if not paid a lien would be take against our timeshare. OK, do it already! I want my WDILF!!! Anyway, should we just keep ignoring WG and now Hilton until the WDILF shows up one day? Thoughts?
6:10 pm PDT

Re: Re: Threats/Letters
by timeshare
Hi we stopped paying maintinence in jan 2008 also from uk hadnt heard from then for over a year two weeks ago also got a letter from then adding late payment and threatning debt collecters which i have had previous i just binned it, i really would have thought after 4 years and the fact we have never used it we bought it out right in 2006, they would just re posses it and sell it to another mug. Please keep me informed as we are both in the same position.
9:59 am PDT

Re: Threats/Letters-scammed by westgate
by davekemp
Unfortunately I think you've still got another few months to go before the WDIL. The letter from the "collections agency" is par for the course. Just ignore it and carry on with your life for now.
2:15 am PDT

Threats/Letters-scammed by westgate
Hello everyone,
So today I received mail from Westgate and guess who mail me? Yesss, our friends from ICA. So far, it's been 5 or 6 months since we have not paid to Westgate. I hope this is a good time for the WDIL to come.

The letter states,

Dear client,

Previous attempts to resolve your obligation in the above-referenced amount due have not resulted in a complete resolution in curing the outstanding balance. It is important that we resolve this matter.
We have many option available to assist you in bringing your account current. Please contact us immediately to discuss your options.

For email inquiries contract: Customerservice@icaworldwide.com
Sincerely,

ICA, LLC
This is an attempt to colect a debt by a debt collector. ICA is attempting to collect a debt on behalf of __________. Any information will be used for that purpose.

Apr 6, 2012
3:54 pm PDT

Re: Threats/Letters-scammed by westgate
by davekemp
We're all with you! However, your case will be a first for us to follow since you only owe M T. Sorry to put you up on this pedestal, but I'm sure there are a lot of others who are in the same boat who are also interested in the outcome.
Keep us in the loop. Dave
9:28 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: Threats/Letters-scammed by westgate
by cs69
Thanks for your support anothersucker and Dave it just says appropriate major credit bureaus...how scary! Just to set let you know CS are my initials (catherine) and 69 is my house no! When I was sucked in by WR I was on holiday with my 2 sons...a lone parent having the holiday of a lifetime! They promised me the security of a safe haven at WR and cheap flights through my WR membership. I was totally taken in! Now I am standing my ground and will not pay anymore.
8:00 am PDT

Re: Limited Power of Attorney instead of WDIL-scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
ss1966ss, This is the first I've seen on this site about them offering a limited power of attorney. I would be VERY suspicious. We've all already given WG power we shouldn't have by getting suckered in the first place. My instinct is don't do it, giving any "power" limited or otherwise to WG is a mistake. Hold tight, do not respond to them, & wait for the WDILF or VDB depending on your status of still owing a "mortgage" or paid on full.
5:25 am PDT

Re: Re: Threats/Letters-scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
Is there anything more revealing than CS69's experience with WG? (S)he offered to give back for free a totally paid for and paid up on fees timeshare. They don't accept that, which is another way of saying a Westgate timeshare is worth less than $0. They'd rather wait and try to bully CS69 for "maintenance" (Do they really do much maintenance?) and taxes (If you look at the itemization of the maintenance & tax bill you'll see that the tax portion is less than $100.) This company reeks. Makes me sick that visitors to our state and country get this for a souvenir.
5:12 am PDT

Threats/Letters
by davekemp
Did they say which debt collectors or just a generic statement. I ask since this is for maintenance and taxes, not their regular "mortgage". They always threaten this approach and have never followed up to my knowledge.
5:01 am PDT

Re: Threats/Letters
by cs69
Well I spoke to soon on my last comment! Have just received mail demading payment of over 700$ plus interest and charges or will be reported to debt collection bureaus. I haven't paid since Jan '10 and was refused the VBD (after careful consideration of course) when I said I wouldn't pay them another cent. I am still not paying, so lets see what happens next.
7:16 pm PDT

Limited Power of Attorney instead of WDIL
by ss1966ss
Has anyone been offered a limited power of attorney instead of a WDIL? Any advice on what's the difference?
2:54 pm PDT

Re: Still waiting for freedom......scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
neragn, it looks like your post didn't get a response...sorry. You are in the phase where Westgate wants you to really worry and think you have to do something. Continue doing nothing, you are probably within 1-3 months of getting the WDILF offer. And welcome aboard to the new folks. This site is where a lot of people have banded together to teach & learn how to rid themselves of WG.
8:39 am PDT

Re: Please help us. need advice
by hellnoseigal
Dave is exactly correct as always. Follow what he says to the letter and it may take a year as in our case(and most others on this site) but you will get the WDILF. Do not talk to them or answer-check every call on your caller ID-they are very crafty and will sometimes register as out of area or use WG real name. Whatever -DO NOT TALK TO THEM!!!!Check this site at least once a week religously for new and updated information. This site saved me and it will save you also.Good luck with this-as Dave says-"You are not alone".
7:18 am PDT

Please help us. need advice - Scammed by Westgate
by davekemp
First of all take a deep breath! Like all of us here you've been taken in by the Westgate "team". I have to admit they're very good at what they do!
Next: As you say you're past the 10 days cancellation point and have unfortunately lost your $1500. So if you want out:
1)Cancel the credit card that you've used for payments - they'll just keep taking otherwise.
2)Get ready for LOTS of calls trying to get you to pay - they'll threaten to ruin your credit, but they NEVER have. They'll offer you "payment" options etc. The best way is to either don't answer, or hang up. Whatever you do IGNORE them.
3)Go on-line to your "owners" account and change your contact phone number to anything that won't reach you - leave the address correct though.
4)Please take the time to read back over a couple of months of this thread - lots of good info here.
5)Remember you're not alone. One of us will usually answer any question here within 24 hrs
Apr 3, 2012
2:33 am PDT

Please help us. need advice
by failvacation
Please help us. My husband and I purchased a timeshare at westgage kissimme about a month ago. After reading all of the posts,I want to cancel asap. 10 days cancellation policy have passed. They already took our downpayment for 1500. What should we do, I dont want my credit to be ruined. Please help
2:13 pm PDT

Re: need to cancel Westgate TimeshareASAP
by failvacation
1:55 pm PDT

Re: how much to pay??
by cs69
Hi...just a general comment, I am in the UK and have posted on this site over the last year or more. Since being refused the Voluntary Deed Back, I have had no further communication from Westgate.I did post a couple of months ago that an ex employee had told me Westgate couldn't do anything as I was in the UK. But I didn't dare believe that to be true....has anyone in the UK received final documents and KNOW for sure they are rid of them? Congratulations to everyone on here who has by the way!
6:19 am PDT

how much to pay??
by bes16
I recently was in the same situation as you, hellnoseigal. My husband & I opted to pay the $250 fee & be done! I know others have been successful by just paying $10, but we wanted to make sure there would be no other excuses from WG - like NOT processing the WDIL b/c the letter states $250. You pick what makes you comfortable.....and make copies of everything you send/sign since this is your only proof you signed this back to them!! A few weeks ago, I posted on here exactly what the lady we were workin with told me to do so there would be no delays processing. Congrats on wdil!!
5:59 am PDT

Re: How much to pay for WDIL?- scammed by westgate
Dave:
Thanks for the quick response. I agree-peace of mind is more important-I called them and got a huge $25 discount but that is ok. They also explained that the $10 fee is what WG pays not the individual so new information for the group for the future.I am sending the money order to them for $225 and will be done with them. Thanks again Dave for all your help and encouragement.
5:49 am PDT

How much to pay for WDIL?- scammed by westgate
by davekemp
This is a difficult question to answer. The actual cost to file the WDIL is $10, but how much is peace of mind worth? People have taken both approaches and been successful. Maybe the right place to start is by sending the $10, but then monitoring the situation which can take another 6 months or so. Ultimately the choice has to be an individual one. By paying the $250 it's over now, by sending $10 you have more work to do! Good luck whichever way you choose to go.
4:14 am PDT

Re: Re: Cancel Westgate Timeshare & we're off- scammed by westgate
by hellnoseigal
Well Dave and others on this site were exactly correct. We stopped paying one year ago and after the usual calls and no answer and hang-ups from us the WDILF arrived this Saturday. We went immediately to our local bank Notary got it witnessed and sealed and will be express mailing it back to WG first thing Monday morning. They want $250 processing fee. I do not want to pay it. The only thing the WDILF paper actually says is $10. The $250 is in the cover letter. What do you think I should do? Thrilled to be almost free of these vermin.And thanks for all the great advice and encouragement. We will stay on the site to help when we can. Thanks again to all of you.
Apr 1, 2012
6:04 pm PDT

Re: Cancel Westgate Timeshare & we're off- scammed by westgate
by anothersucker
Davekahn, Great detailed account of how to get rid of WG...and a very happy outcome! Nice work on the $10. And Rod11, you are on your way to freedom too! So many of us were nervous when we stopped paying them, but your understanding of WG Timeshares seems to have removed that problem :) It's great for new people finding this site to see how you've embraced this "process"
Apr 1, 2012
3:09 am PDT

And were off!
by rod11
Well looks like we are on our way found this site and followed the tips stopped paying in Jan. so after 3 mos like clockwork we got our first collection letter from the ICA like advised earlier in the posts. So i see it as on our way off and going to stay the course. Need to mention we also got and offer to use our time share next month lol
Mar 27, 2012
10:44 pm PDT

No Calls
by shanewhit5
They started calling right after i posted so i guess they had a glitch in their system, but thank goodness for a couple of days of rest ie no calls.
Mar 24, 2012
5:13 pm PDT

Re: NO CALLS - Scammed by Westgate
by davekemp
Firstly, how long ago did you stop paying. Typically it takes at least 9-12 months of non payment before a WDIL.
Secondly, reduction in collection calls IS a positive sign - they are potentially moving you to the next level. Read the link in my last post.
Mar 24, 2012
5:49 am PDT

NO CALLS
by shanewhit5
We stopped paying our Westgate mortgage and now over the last 3 days Westgate has stopped calling. What does that mean? Are we near a WDILF?
Mar 23, 2012
6:50 am PDT

Need to cancel Westgate Timeshare
by davekemp
I found this interesting link that's worth reading. Read the "answer" it tells about all the WG tricks.

Mar 23, 2012
5:41 am PDT

by davekemp
To scammedtoo: The immediate debit on your card is typical of any of these scams. Dispute it with the bank, but be ready to defend your position with copies of your cancellation docs because WG are very good at sending refuting letters to the banks which appear very convincing.
To: everyone else: Read the threads on this site and you'll see that there are lots of success stories and the advice here is FREE. Remember WG WILL NOT affect your credit scores unless you actually foreclose.
Mar 22, 2012
2:29 am PDT

by scammedtoo
Thanks all. Even though I came here after making the purchase, the feedback and guidance have been really helpful to me and I am sure to others as well.

Today is my 10th day since purchase and I have received confirmation from the post office that the (cancellation) letter was received today. Also, I saw that they have already charged the downpayment to my credit card, on the date of purchase itself, which I will dispute.

I will provide an update when I hear back from Westgate.
6:12 pm PDT

Re: Re: need to cancel Westgate Timeshare refer May 3 2011
Dave:
Just a note of thanks for your continued leadership on this site and helping everyone even though you are free of these vermin yourself.I stopped paying in my first month -a year ago in fact.(due to seeing this site) They call but we do not answer. Hope to get WDILF in the near future.Keep up the great work.
5:59 pm PDT

Cancel Westgate Timeshare
by davekhan
Cancel Westgate Timeshare

I wanted to share my story I stopped making my payments on the westgate property on nov 2010 did not pick up one single phone call (assholes called me 4-5 times a day ) for about 10 months they sent threatening letters from ica (international collection agency) which is westgates affiliate all along i checked my credit NEVER AFFECTED ME !!! WESTGATE NEVER SHOWED UP ON MY CREDIT REPORT 5 months ago I got my WDILF they asked me to send a fee of $750 for them to be able to finalize my WDILF I did not want to give any more money to these assholes so i sent a moneyorder for $10.I got my 1099 c and the property was worth slightly more than i owed so i am not paying anything to the IRS either.

Take away from my story

IF you fall into the trap of buying a westgate timeshare try to cancel it in 10days

IF not

Stop making payments asap
DONOT pickup any phone of the call they cannot affect you credit EVER
Mail just $10 for the WDILF as that is the processing fee for WDILF
post your success story on this website

thank you every one for sharing your stories
2:23 pm PDT

by davekemp
Thanks anothersucker. I thought that I'd repost "snookered2deep"'s process to cancel within 10 days. It's attached below:

Hi All,

As I have shared in my previous post, I was suckered into purchasing a timeshare recently at Orlando and wanted to update everyone on a win against WG. Fortunately, I was able to do some research immediately after getting back to my hotel and found this forum. If we have any new users that are in my same position, pay close attention because you can still get off the hook.

Although the notary told me that the deal is finalized after signing the contract, there is a period of rescission in most states. Florida has 10 CALENDAR days (be very careful to see if it is calendar or business days. If you are unsure, assume it is calendar days) to cancel the contract for any reason without penalty. If any readers purchased in any other state, do some homework on your state laws. It should also be stated in small print on the purchase contract (which is the most important piece of paper you signed.)

To cancel your contract, you must write a letter to WG corporate (not the location where you made the purchase). Here is the address. I have read on another forum that a cancellation of a Las Vegas timeshare was sent to the same address but the correct address will be on the contract.

ATTN: SALES
Seller/Developer
Westgate Vacation Villas, LLC,
2801 Old Winter Garden Road
Ocoee, Florida 34761

It is imperative that you have it mailed via certified US mail with signature return confirmation. Hold onto your confirmation tracking number and the return receipt because this is your proof that your letter is sent. DO NOT USE UPS OR FEDEX!!! The cancellation is valid as soon as it is time/date stamped by the post office so don't worry about WG not receiving your letter in time if you are nearing the end of your rescission period.

Here is my actual letter minus my personal information:

DATE
NAME
ADDRESS

Seller/Developer
Westgate Vacation Villas, LLC,
2801 Old Winter Garden Road
Ocoee, Florida 34761

Contract Reference Number: (MEMBER ID)
Number of Time Share Interests Purchased: (TIMESHARE UNIT INFO)
Fixed or Floating: (TIMESHARE UNIT INFO)
Assigned Unit(s) / Unit Week(s) / Year(s): (TIMESHARE UNIT INFO)
First Available Occupancy Date: (TIMESHARE UNIT INFO)

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to inform Seller/Developer Westgate Vacation Villas, LLC, a Florida Limited Liability Company, that effective immediately, under Florida statute 721.06 I am executing my right to cancel the above referenced contract that was signed on Friday April 15, 2011.

I no longer wish to be a Westgate Vacation Villa time share owner and thus I am cancelling the contract.

I will require the return of the escrowed funds from my original down payment within the time threshold allowable by law.

Sincerely,

snookered2deep

PS: Please note that I am sending multiple identical letters to ensure the receipt by Westgate Vacation Villas of my notification to cancel the contract.

----------------

I also had my letter notorized for an extra set of eyes. MAKE COPIES OF ANYTHING YOU SEND!!!

As of last Friday, I have received my down payment refund minus $50 that I will get back when I send them the briefcase portfolio and its contents. I also called the notary and sales person to tell them off. What does it say about your character when your profession requires you to unconscionably deceive and flat out lie to people to gain for a few at the expense of so many?

Best of luck to everyone.
3:43 am PDT

need to cancel Westgate Timeshare refer May 3 2011
by anothersucker
Good news...Since we've been so active helping "ScammedToo" people searching the phrase "Need to Cancel Westgate Timeshare" will see the epinions site first. (I mentioned May 3, 2011 in this title as a bookmark of when "Snookered2Deep" posted his detailed step-by-step instructions on how to cancel within 10 days.)
3:34 am PDT

Re: Re: Urgent: need to cancel Westgate timeshare within next 2 days
by davekemp
Scammedtoo: As you can tell all of us here really want to help anyone who has been suckered by WG. Don't feel bad, at least you have the chance to get out cleanly. We all lost a lot of money with these leaches, not to mention all the hassles of dealing with them subsequently. It's been great working with someone who has the chance to get out before WG gets their hands on you. Please let us know the outcome. BTW I'm in Toronto.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Urgent: need to cancel Westgate timeshare within next 2 days
by scammedtoo
Perfect, thank you! I appreciate the support.

Re: Re: Re: Urgent: need to cancel Westgate timeshare within next 2 days
by anothersucker
Pardon my oversight. It looks as if you did reference "see attached" material in your letter. Good. As an additional precaution some people here cancel or freeze their account Westgate has on record.
7:21 pm PDT

To ScammedToo
by anothersucker
Dear Scammed Too,Any reasonable person or business would accept your cancellation, you have included all the details, though not in exactly the format. By sending them copies of the contract you've actually sent them more info than they requested. However WG is not known for being reasonable, so unless your letter says "see attached" or references the copy of the contract you enclosed, you might choose to send the letter again including the info in the body of your letter. If you did that tomorrow/Wednesday, would that still be within your 10 days?

Dave K & all what do you think?
6:36 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Urgent: need to cancel Westgate timeshare within next 2 days
by scammedtoo
I stated the contract # I wanted to cancel on the letter but did not state the actual unit, week, etc. I only stated the contract # on the cover letter but attached the actual contract...is that OK or should I resend another letter with the details on the letter itself? See my sample letter from previous post.
1:36 pm PDT

by anothersucker
Since you are in Canada, that would be registered mail. (Certified mail is a domestic U.S. service.) It appears you have covered yourself well! Of course keep all your rec'ts. And please keep us updated. We will cheer your success and maybe you can visit here and help the next person scammed. Thanks.
1:30 pm PDT

by scammedtoo
Thanks for all the help!!
9:54 am PDT

by davekemp
I did find this fax number on an old posting of mine regarding a VDB (voluntary deed back). You could try that.

fax 407.248.5546 or mail to: Mortgage Administration ~ FROR, 2801 Old Winter Garden Rd., OCOEE, FL 34761
9:48 am PDT

by davekemp
Not sure, but one way is to go on-line with your new account number to owner services and send them the letter in a "service request"
9:40 am PDT

by scammedtoo
Thank you. Does anyone have the email adress or fax number for Westgate Vacation Villas, 2801 Old Winter Garden Road?
9:01 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: Urgent: need to cancel Westgate timeshare within next 2 days
by davekemp
I believe that since you sent it both registered and by Xpresspost that you should be OK. I don't think you need to send it from the US. You could also fax/e-mail them a copy and mention that the original is arriving registered. Can't do any harm and that option is free! Wish you success. Dave

8:12 am PDT