iMac

iMac

ratings (403 Epinions reviews)

Could You Spare Some Ammunition?

Mar 28, 2000

Pros:Shock Factor Would Motivate Many People to Check Out Epinions

Cons:The Inevitable Bad Press That Will Follow the Showing of This Advertisement

Epinions is a relatively young internet business. It has a loyal following and is steadily gaining recognition and visits to its website. To help spur the growth, Epinions has now decided to make some television advertisements.

Television is the number one advertising medium, so it makes sense that Epinions would want to invest some money in producing TV advertisements. But I question whether or not this type of advertisement is really the way to go. For those of us who have experienced frustration with our personal computers, this advertisement does have some humorous value. I'm sure that there are many people who have been frustrated to the point that they would like to fire a few gunshots into the pc screen.

But for the rest of the public, watching a commercial that uses violence to demonstrate dissatisfaction with a product will stir up feelings of resentment and concern. Above all, many people will find the use of a gun to be a deplorable act on the part of Epinions, especially since there has been so much controversy lately regarding gun control.

I do agree that this commercial does provide an element of surprise and it would induce many people to check out the website. However, I do not think it is in the best interest of Epinions to run this advertisement on television. There are those who feel that "bad press is better than no press" but I don't think it is necessary for Epinions to go the route of bad press just yet. I think Epinions has a lot to offer and it can easily attract new members by simply letting the public know what it's business is all about.

Personally, I do not have any problem with the advertisement. But I know that there are people who will be grossly offended by this. I like the idea of using humor, because a genuinely funny TV commercial does stick in your mind for a long time. So, my recommendation to Epinions is to ditch this commercial in favor of one with a humorous element, minus the violence factor. Running a potentially damaging advertisement is too risky at such an early point in Epinions existence as a company.

Would visit Shopping.com? Yes