How BALLLzzz Rates

Aug 30, 2000 (Updated Sep 14, 2000)

I keep seeing people with "How I Rate Reviews" on their profile pages, giving long lists of personal standards, so I figure I'd better let you guys in on my system or else dozens if not hundreds of you Epinion members are going to be spending sleepless nights wondering about it and I want to save you from that.
I can't really say that the current system in use is valid. I suppose there was a time when Highly Recommended really did mean "exceptionally accurate and well presented" and Recommended really meant "accurate and well presented" but it's not that way anymore. RECOMMENDED or anything lower than that means obscurity for your review, and if it's recommended or less by a highly trusted member or an advisor, RECOMMENDED means DEATH.
<<NOTE TO MEMBERS WITH LARGE WEBS OF TRUST: YOU DON'T HAVE TO GIVE A RATING TO EVERY REVIEW YOU READ. IF YOU SEE A REVIEW THAT IS ACCURATE AND WELL PRESENTED, INSTEAD OF GIVING IT A RATING OF RECOMMENDED, WHY NOT JUST MOVE ALONG AND GIVE IT A FAIR SHOT WITHOUT BANISHING IT TO OBSCURITY? JUST TO BE NICE? I'M SURE YOU FEEL LIKE IT'S YOUR JOB TO PROTECT EPINIONS FROM MEDIOCRE WRITING, BUT A BAD REVIEW WILL BURY ITSELF WITHOUT YOUR HELP.>>
Here's how BALLLzzz rates:
1. If I read a review and it makes me laugh (or LOL, as they say) I give it an HR no matter what. Check out thebozn.
2. If your review is brief and to the point, I give it an HR. If it's long and interesting I give it an HR. If it's long but not very interesting to me but looks like it's full of informative facts about the product you are writing about, I give it an HR. Otherwise I move on and read something else without rating it UNLESS
4. If it's long, boring, and full of cr@p, I'll probably give it an SR, just because I don't have the heart to give it an NR, but you can be sure that I think it's lame
5. Recipes are rated HR as long as they sound appetizing...
6. If I see you constantly rating informative reviews recommended or less, I will judge your reviews with a harsh eye and rate accordingly.
7. If you have an obscenely large Web of Trust and I see you hanging aroung the Just In section, policing and burying reviews without giving them a fighting chance, and then I go read your reviews and find them to be long, boring, and self-serving (as they usually are when written by people who hang around Just In burying reviews) everything you write will be Not Recommended. You will be subject to my harshest criticism.
This might not be how the ratings system was meant to work, but I'm within my rights to rate however I want to, and as long as well meaning people continue to become discouraged from writing reviews because they are constantly buried under mediocre ratings by the "Just In Police", this is how I will rate.

Member: Balllzzz