Income Share and the Web of Distrust

Sep 15, 2000

This is my last opinion on the Income Share, in fact it's probably my last review for all time. I found out the insidious truth about the income share, and it's a truth I suspected from the very beginning...there is no justice here at Epinions. If you're "one of them" (a highly trusted member) you can effectively bury any review or reviewer that you want to. I never realized to what extent.

It's all about the Web of Distrust. If you are a member who is "distrusted by the community", non-members will never see your reviews. They just simply don't exist. Non-members will never see your reviews until they join, and then set their content filters to show reviews of members that the "community" distrusts. It happened to me. Has it happened to you? Log out and find out. It could.

What does it take to become distrusted by the community? Who knows? They don't tell you this anywhere. They make you think that if you write reviews of products that people will see them. My guess is that it doesn't take more than a couple of big-shots who don't see eye to eye with you to ruin your career here.

If you're new here, TAKE MY ADVICE: Make no enemies. Write nothing that is controversial, or that anyone could possibly disagree with. When I started out I couldn't stand seeing good reviews being buried by people with big Webs of Trust, so I shouted my anger about it from the rooftops, and did whatever I could to try to help the "little guy" get a fair shot. I made people mad with the things I wrote, and as a result my reviews will never be seen by anyone outside the community. Tragic.

If I could go back and do it over, I would probably just not bother with Epinions at all. I'm not into pandering to people, I'm into telling it like it is. I don't want to go through life worried that somebody is going to distrust me just because I'm willing to admit that I can't stand the Olive Garden, or because somebody doesn't like my political beliefs.

I've had a lot of fun reading and writing these things, but I've spent a lot of time doing it. And the heat wave has broken...the weather is nice...I have no hope of ever making good money here....

Member: Balllzzz