"Only sick music makes money today." Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844 - 1900)
Reviews Written: 273
Member Visits: 18,295
Total Visits: 840,410
I was born and raised in Northern Ontario, better known nowadays as Shania Twain country! (No, I never met the babe) Fast forward to present time, right now I live on Canada's East Coast. I'm married, I'm the father of three grown up children and I also care for two mini schnauzers.
I got my first guitar when I was 13. I jammed with friends and fellow musicians as often as I could and I bought music, lots of it. I also enjoyed getting my hands on musical equipment, something that developped into a lifelong disorder of sorts.
Anyway, my passion today includes: family (that includes my dogs), work, writing, music, movies and recording.
I'm very practical, I believe in researching everything before spending my money. Thats what brought me to Eps to begin with. I won't waste my time on things I dont like or care to talk about as I much rather spend my time reviewing things I enjoy! Ill continue to post things on Eps just as long as I can find things that Im passionate enough to write about and that can help others make an informed decision.
Finally, over the years I have traded, sold and bought a variety of used and new musical gear. If I had to do it all over again, Id definitely start with a digital recorder and I would concentrate on writing my own music with whatever gear I could get my hands on...
My gear philosophy: "Buy affordable quality gear and have fun, Fun, FUN!"
Some of my FAV quotes:
"A dog has the soul of a philosopher." - Plato
"There are more pleasant things to do than beat up people." - Muhammad Ali
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - Walter Bagehot
"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives." - A. Sachs
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust, and sweat, and blood; who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while doing greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
If you update your review, I will be glad to re-rate, just let me know.
- Most Helpful:
- Your review was Most Original, Most Fun, Most Creative...
- Very Helpful:
- Your review was Very Good and contained all the information I needed to know about the product.
- Your review was Good but was lacking in details or in personal experience with the product.
- Somewhat Helpful:
- Your review was helpful in someway but, I usually reserve this rating for short incomplete reviews lacking most everything.
- Not Helpful:
- Your review was Not Helpful...period!
- Off Topic:
- If I had to ask myself what the puck was that all about?
In an attempt to find a better way of rating albums, Ive devised a new rating system based on the repeat value of the music found on any given album. Why the emphasis on repeat value? Well, good music is subjective. What one considers to be good music may not be so good to another. What I have found over the years is that the albums I keep going back to are often the ones that contain music I cant seem to get enough of. Thus the repeat value of the music is the most important element, it is in fact the single most important point that makes me return to the music time and time again. So, how does this all translate into a one to five star rating system? Actually, quite easily:
- ONE STAR:
- Worthless album, no repeat value at all, bored after the very first spin! Theres no need to extend a probationary listening period as the album is not going to get any better with time. (Reviewing such an album is impossible because I cant and wont listen to it more than once)
- TWO STARS:
- Some tracks on this album have some repeat value, but they are few and far between. Besides, youll tire of it fast, sometime during the first month of the probationary listening period.
- THREE STARS:
- Average repeat value, but the flair of the new and original will wear off after 25 spins or near the end of the 3 month probationary listening period, whichever comes first.
- FOUR STARS:
- This album will still be on high rotation in your CD player after 50 spins or long after the probationary listening period has come and gone.
- FIVE STARS:
- Youll never tire of this album. In your mind, it is a classic in the genre and style of music it stands for. No question about it, a masterpiece!
| Copyright © 2003 Vanwarp All Rights Reserved