How I Lost 65 Pounds In 4 Months

Jun 24, 2000

Sounds like one of those Sunday ad inserts doesn't it? First of all, this is not a scientific weight loss method, just the way I changed my eating and exercise "bad habits" enough to lose a little more than 15 pounds a month. It's important to note that I am a very big man, 6'3", and my starting weight was 335 pounds!

In high school it was necessary to gain weight for the offensive guard position I played for three years on our varsity football team. I'd bulk up through a combination of several hours of weight training and a diet of plenty of whole milk, (at least 1/2 gallon a day), pounds of meat, potatoes, bread, and frequent trips for extra nourishment at our local fast food establishments.

For baseball each spring, I just added jogging, more weight repetitions and cut back about 50% on my intake. It didn't hurt that I had such an excellent metabolism that melted calories and let me drop 50 to 60 pounds each winter and get readily into my best baseball playing weight, around 170 lbs.

Well, those wonderful years as long past, and I noticed as I entered my 30's weight had a tendency to settle around my hips, and from my partying days in my 20's I had a not-so-welcome beer belly. Yeah, like a lot of guys, I was in major denial. I pounded on it, and it felt real solid so I thought I was not so far out of shape as I actually was. "Oh, I could lose that any time, right?" Wrong.

The weight crept up gradually, and without the regular and strenuous exercise regime of Herr Football Coach, I was becoming more sedentary. My recliner was surrounded by essential male tools: 4 remote controls and the ever present toe nail clippers replaced bat, catcher's glove, shoulder pads and football helmet!

By age 32, I had a great new girlfriend, who was almost as good a cook as I was; I was cooking professionally by age 26, as well as helping cater many Hollywood events. Domestic life is great, but now I was eating three squares a day, every day but still not getting much in the way of exercising. By the time I was 40, I was bloated, at my highest weight ever, (335 pounds), and there were parts of my anatomy I couldn't remember seeing for some time.

Since my Dad had two heart attacks, and a very obese cousin had died of a massive heart attack at the shocking age of 33, I knew I was in trouble. Something about turning 40 brought me up short: I was no longer young, I wasn't going to live forever, and my body was sabotaging me by way of old sports injuries, five knee operations, and I realized I needed to look at what I was doing, and make some lifetime changes.

You should know, that the more overweight you are, the faster you will lose weight initially. I started by walking one mile a day around a local park: one circuit equals 0.9 miles. Since I was so heavy, it didn't make any sense for me to run or jog, and being sedentary, I needed to start slow. I walked every morning, around sunrise, except in pouring rain. (Note to people who don't live in California: it doesn't snow here)!
Some mornings I felt more energetic, especially after the first month or so, and walked around twice.

I didn't always eat breakfast at my job, but when I look back on it, I was always picking at something or tasting. In our large hospital, we are constantly surrounded by food-especially working in the kitchen. I'd have a normal lunch, but due to the heat of the 3 large ovens, I drank 32 ounce cups of soda like water all day. Needing a pick-me-up when I left work, I got into the bad habit of almost daily trips to the local fast food drive-throughs as I was really hungry by 6PM.

I had dinner usually waiting for me when I got home, and since it was so darned tasty, I almost always ate double portions, plus snacks. When I took stock of these automatic food responses, it wasn't hard to see how I was packing on 10 to 15 pounds a year. My pants had gone from a 40" waist to straining with a 44" one, and the after work tee shirts were now tight at a 3X. To say I was miserable is an understatement.

I started by cutting out all the fast food trips. I no longer ordered, an consumed, large pizzas on nights I had to cook for myself. Instead of 2 huge bowls of food, I contented myself with one fairly large serving. I started having salads every night, and replaced some of those high calorie sodas with bottled water and the diet products I don't really mind.

The first month I lost 20 lbs, and was surprised to see I was no longer huffing and puffing coming up the stairs to our condo. My face lost that bloated look after cutting back on the sodas, and I got in the habit of waiting a half hour or so, after eating, instead of automatically grabbing up seconds. By the end of the second month, I dropped a size in my jeans and work pants, and people started asking if something was different.

At the end of three months I no longer felt the pull of the fast food joints. I'd be lying to say I don't still go there-now it's 3 or 4 times a month, instead of 5 or 6 times a week, though. There was about 20% of my wardrobe I could suddenly get back into, and I could see more than just my toes when I happened to look down!

Now, after four months, I have lost a total of 65 pounds. I have kept this off, give or take 5 pounds, for an additional 6 months, and am now wearing 2X tee shirts, (and there are plenty of those around), which are actually kind of loose. I carry myself differently, and don't tire as fast as before losing all this weight. I can't say you would lose at much, but this has been a healthy and sensible way for me to lose weight, without ever feeling too deprived.

Member: Richard Horner
Location: Left Coast
About Me: Long-haul trucker, former cook, and all-around nice guy.