Noisy knees? Friction in the joints? Glucosamine!!

Nov 25, 2000

I suppose it may be osteoarthritis, but it has bothered me since college. My knees would make popping noises when I stand up and sometimes when I walk around. And when I'm climbing stairs, I feel a definite friction in my knees. I never thought of it as arthritis, because I understand that arthritis is painful, and my condition was mostly annoying and a little unpleasant.

A couple of months ago, I did a little research and discovered that Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM are three supplements that are supposed to help your body rebuild cartilage (to counteract the effects of osteoarthritis). Because it actually helps to rebuild cartilage, it fixes the problem, not just the symptom. It seems like most advertisements that deal with osteoarthritis are for pain killers like aspirin, which only cover up the problem by addressing the symptom.

As I dug into it further, I found that your body produces Chondroitin from Glucosamine, and that one study found only 0-12% of Chondroitin was absorbed from the digestive system because it may not be able to pass through the intestine to get into the bloodstream. Furthermore, Chondroitin is expensive relative to Glucosamine, and since your body produces it from Glucosamine, there's really no need to buy it.

MSM is a special, easily absorbed form of sulfer, and is recommended because sulfer is another building block of cartilage. The information I gathered said that most people get plenty of sulfer through amino acids found in protein, so I believe it is unlikely you would need MSM unless you eat very little protein.

I began taking a Glucosamine-sulfate supplement three times daily. After about 2-3 weeks, the difference was dramatic. I love this stuff!! And I strongly encourage anyone with stiff joints to give Glucosamine supplements a try. You can buy the supplements with "the works" (i.e., with Chondroitin and MSM), or save a few bucks and just go with Glucosamine, but be sure to take 500mg three times daily for a few weeks.

I encourage you to do your own research. I liked the library at www.vitaminshoppe.com, though it's a little difficult to find your way around.

Be healthy!